Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zanderbaxa Posts: 62, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 01:42 AM
    Neutron star?
    When atoms lose their electrons (neutron stars), do they lose their elemental identity?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 05:57 AM
    Interesting question, with a complicated answer. Toward the surface the material is thought to be a lattice of nuclei (probably iron) with a free flowing sea of electrons interspersed. Further down there may be free neutrons interspersed as well, so the identity of the elements that form the material is confused. At the innermost depths the material is esssentially a mass of neutrons without any differentiation of "atoms," and hence no elemental identity. Strange stuff indeed.

Oct 27, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Thanks.
    Are the protons converted to neutrons?
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderbaxa View Post
    Thanks.
    Are the protons converted to neutrons?
    Yes - the electrons are essentially mashed into the protons, resulting in neutrons. Hence the name "neutron star."

Apr 12, 2012, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Yes - the electrons are essentially mashed into the protons, resulting in neutrons. Hence the name "neutron star."
    Since they are no longer electrons, the only other thing neutron stars have is heat from its collapse (temperature). Therefore the light we see are other electrons entering the heat, around the star where the heat is the catalyst for transition in the atoms gravitating toward the star.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
    I thought I remembering hearing the Mass of a teaspoon of Neutron Star would weigh 100 Million Tons, Can anyone explain?

Apr 12, 2012, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I thought i remembering hearing the Mass of a teaspoon of Neutron Star would weigh 100 Million Tons, Can anyone explain?
    Acceleration due to gravity at the surface of Earth (9.8m/s^2) the mass with that volume will weigh that much. Since most of the space has been squeezed and the electrons have been converted to neutrons, the resulting mass is very dense.
    Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I thought i remembering hearing the Mass of a teaspoon of Neutron Star would weigh 100 Million Tons, Can anyone explain?
    In a neutron star there is none of the empty space that normally exists in atoms between the neucleus and electrons. So the density of each atom is incredibly high - in the range of 5 x 10^17 Kg/m^3 (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_star ). That's equivalent to about 9 billion tons per cubic inch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
    If you were to place that on Earth and the weight remained the same, therotically would it ocillate bak and forth through the Earth and tend to settle in the center, and would center of the earth melt it as it passes through, I imagine the heat it would generate would be great in it self(the friction moving through Earth)?
    Expert

Apr 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
    Interesting question Stratman. I think you're basically correct - rock is not strong enough to hold up a cubic inch of this material, so it would sink like a stone in water. And yes - it would eventually settle at the center of the earth (which is already molten). Here's an interesting calculation: the change in gravitational potential energy of the 1 cubic inch mass as it sinks 1 meter into the earth's surface is

That's an awful lot of energy (and resulting heat) as it plows its way downward!
    sean_s Posts: 103, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Not just iron, and the sea of electrons is not relevant here.

There is a limit, the limit of weak interactive force. This force works at a certain distance . If the distance of two interacting particles is lesser than the threshold, it breaks down, giving way to other forces. In a neutron star, the gravity causes the nuclei to push against each other, pushing the outer electron shells closer to the nucleus. Thereby, the weak force gives way to first electromagnetic whereby ellectrons collide with protons, creating nuetrons and a neutrino, and then gradually to the strong interaction force, whereby the neutrons clump together.

Apr 27, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sean_s View Post
    not just iron, and the sea of electrons is not relevant here.

There is a limit, the limit of weak interactive force. This force works at a certain distance . If the distance of two interacting particles is lesser than the threshold, it breaks down, giving way to other forces. In a neutron star, the gravity causes the the nuclei to push against each other, pushing the outer electron shells closer to the nucleus. Thereby, the weak force gives way to first electromagnetic whereby ellectrons collide with protons, creating nuetrons and a neutrino, and then gradually to the strong interaction force, whereby the neutrons clump together.
    Does this also mean no light is emittrf from neutron stars because they have no electrons, only those impacting the mass from outside?

Apr 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderbaxa View Post
    Since they are no longer electrons, the only other thing neutron stars have is heat from its collapse (temperature). Therefore the light we see are other electrons entering the heat, around the star where the heat is the catalyst for transition in the atoms gravitating toward the star.
    What I thought. Extending that to black-holes, then BHs may be gigantic masses (like neutron stars) not singularities. In that case they are black because they lack electrons and the event-horizon are the stimulated electrons (from its heat) as atoms impacting the mass.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The star the Magi (Wise Men) saw also known as the Star of Bethlehem [ 1 Answers ]

The Magi were more than astrologers they were an actual tribe which dwelt in what we call nowadays Arabia and Iraq. There is also evidence that one "clan" repatriated to Turkey and others dispersed into Syria and western Iran. Not all Magi were astrologers. They were in the land of Parthia or what...

I have a $20 bill that has star after the serial # IK 02286111 green star? [ 0 Answers ]

The $20 bill has #IK 02286111 star green. Under it K11. In the right corner under 20 G366. If you know anything about this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

I want to be a star [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lot of talents in the entertainment aspect- I sing, act and can dance, as well as I compose songs and create movie lines. But I stay in africa and I can not connect with any producers or studios. Please can you tell me a way out.

Can anyone name a star? [ 13 Answers ]

There are companies out there selling the right to name a star. How legitimate is this? International Star Registry: Name a Star

View more questions Search