Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m.turkovic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 03:35 PM
    Dividing rent between roommates?
    I am currently sharing a two bedroom unit with one other person. My boyfriend will be moving in soon and I am unsure on the best way to divide the rent to make it fair for everyone.

My roommate currently resides in the master bedroom which has a private ensuite bathroom coming off it.

I have the smaller of the two rooms and my bathroom and toilet are separate and is sometimes shared with her and other guests.

At this point we have divided the rent evenly because I know she cannot afford paying the extra rent for all the benefits she has and she is an old friend but I don't think it would be fair for my boyfriend to do the same so I want a fair division this time.

When my boyfriend moves in he will be sharing the smaller room with me.

I would like to know what the best way would be to split our rent in this scenario. Our rent is $350/wk
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2011, 03:42 PM
    Measure the square footage of both the private and common areas. Divide that into $350. She pays the cost for her private area. You and your boyfriend split the cost of your private area. You split the cost of the common area 3 ways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Split Rent With Roommates! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to get a place with 3 other people, the rent will be $1200 not including utilities and such. Now as I understand some people like to just split rent among people, which is unfair in the case of room sizes such as the master bedroom. I understand how all other bills will be divided equally...

Roommates not paying rent. [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend had a couple move in with us. We do not get along at all and it was decided around a week (nov.24) ago that they were going to move out. We found another person to move in and take over the rest of the lease. This person can't move in till mid January. They promised us to pay...

Four roommates, Rent Obligation of 2 Who Stay [ 5 Answers ]

After fulfilling our year lease, my three roommates and I are on a month to month rental agreement. The term of our lease is from the 1st through the last day of the month, and we pay our landlord on the 1st. Two roommates are moving out on August 11th. They believe they are only obligated...

View more questions Search