Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanty26 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Oct 25, 2011, 07:17 PM
    ETG Questions
    I am wondering about passing an ETG test... at 7pm on Monday I drank 8oz of a Kaliber Beer (non-alch)... that's it.
    Test is Wednesday at 8am just over 36 hours... that's less than a gram of alcohol... just wondering if there would be any issues.
    Also, doesn't grapefruit juice reduce ETG production? Based on what I have read-I should test below 100ng level
    Any ideas out there?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 07:30 PM
    There is no need for exceptional measures. The small amount of EtG created by the alcohol contained in NA beer will be eliminated in about 8 hours or less.

Oct 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
    Thanks.. I have read many of your post-you have pretty much confirm all the ETG studies
    Seems like a lot "marketing" by labs to give the courts, etc.. A false sense of efficacy.
    On one of Skipper's slides he shows something about Grapefruit Juice reducing ETG... is that a metabolism issue?
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
    I haven't read about the grapefruit juice. I imagine it would because EtG is water soluble.

EtG is created in proportion to alcohol consumed, a direct metabolite. So, in general, a little alcohol = a little EtG and a much shorter elimination period.

I try to keep up with Skipper. Do you remember where you saw info on grapefruit?

Oct 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
    This is the presentation I came across... here is a paste of slide text... check the slides out
    Grapefruit is shown as decreasing ETG
    Things that can increase  or decrease 
    EtG production due to changing enzyme
    Systems (CYP450)
    – Genetics -  
    – Chronic use -  until - liver failure 
    – Foods – grapefruit juice , greens 
    – Medications – erythromycin , St John's
    Wart  (many others…)
    – Diseases – pregnancy , Gilbert's
    Syndrome, others  (5% of population),
    (many others…)

This link should work
    http://tadcptn.org/pAlcohol%20Markers.%20Webinar.Testing%20for%20Alco hol%20Use.v9.print.version.pdf
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
    I found it. I have no idea where he got the grapefruit juice (no citation). See he also notes 2=O'Douls (also no citation). This seems to be a program he set up for a drug court.

Dr. Skipper is an interesting guy. He serves as a consultant setting up EtG testing programs (he introduced in US) and then spends a great deal of time testifying against the programs.

At any rate I have never seen a scientific study that deals with grapefruit juice, nor O'Doul's by name and I believe I have them all. His time line for 2 NA beers, about 13 hrs would be about right however.

In your case it doesn't matter.

Oct 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
    Thanks so much... just one last observation:
    Kaliber is reported to have .05% ABV
    O'Douls is said to have .5% ABV
    Are you familiar with the NA drinks and do they really cause positive ETG when a person just has maybe 1 or two a day or two before a test? It seems the studies imply that just would be hard to have happen unless you produced an abnormal amount of ETG... had some gfruit juice anyway... can't imagine it would increase ETG
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2011, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanty26 View Post
    thanks so much...just one last observation:
    Kaliber is reported to have .05% ABV
    O'Douls is said to have .5% ABV
    Are you familiar with the NA drinks and do they really cause positive ETG when a person just has maybe 1 or two a day or two before a test?? It seems the studies imply that just would be hard to have happen unless you produced an abnormal amount of ETG....had some gfruit juice anyway...can't imagine it would increase ETG
    Both should have a max of .05 but usually contain .03 ABV. The EtG is short lived but is synthesized. So definitely don't have an NA beer within 12 hours of the test. 24 hours is safer.

Always keep in mind that environmental resources could add to the beer. Mouthwash, inhaling room deodorizers, food souces, there are literally thousands of sources.

Also, any EtG in your system (even below 100 ng) can increase in the sample (post-production). So by the time they get around to testing it that small amount could actually increase above the level of detection. It could also disappear. But why take the chance?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EtG? [ 6 Answers ]

9 1/2 days ago me and cousin drank 3 pitchers of beer and each had 2 rum and cokes as well and a glass of wine. ETG test today. What are my chances?

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

EtG t [ 1 Answers ]

Will I pass a EtG after 72 hours after drinking a gallon of water a day

EtG ua [ 5 Answers ]

How to pass a EtG UA

View more questions Search