Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    garne2t Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Blocked numbers
    Why can't AT&T give me the numbers of who is calling MY phone? What a ridiculous rule! On my cell phone I can easily see every phone number of who called me. Why shouldn't I be able to see it on my land line? Is that actually a law or is it something AT&T does so they don't have to provide the service? Who are the idiots that made that "rule" and how do we change it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2011, 04:07 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on another thread. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

When Caller ID first became available, privacy advocates protested the lack of privacy. They forced laws so the phone company (there was only one at the time) had to allow blocking numbers.

And no you can't see every number. People can block cell phone calls as well as landlines, you may just not have received a blocked call yet.

If you want to change it contact your legislators.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
    Agreed, it is just the law, not really their rules. In additional many telemarketing companies, actually send out a "fake" number to show up, if you ever try and call them back, the number is a non working number ( not sure how they do that)

But the issue is, what is the problem, are you being harassed ?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 11:30 AM
    The same blocking rules apply to both land lines and cell phone lines. So there really is no difference in how either type of phone line can show the calling number. However, some phone gear is incapable of properly displaying the Caller ID, especially for long distance calls. For example if I receive a long distance call at work the PBX we use only passes along the caller ID as "DID" (Direct Inward Dial), but if that same person calls me at home I see the full name and phone number. It's not AT&T's fault, but rather the equipment my employer uses.

And ScottGem - there never was only one phone company. Even pre-divestiture there were hundreds of phone companies in the US, although the majority of us had our local phone service provided by one of the AT&T subsidiaries, and you didn't have a choice. However, it's true that pre-1968 there was indeed only one long distance carrier in the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to trace blocked numbers [ 3 Answers ]

I keep getting 'unknown' calls on my cell. How can I trace them and see who it is that keeps calling me?

Blocked numbers [ 1 Answers ]

I no there is a way to find out who is calling from a blocked number they just have to call 3 times and you press star something but I can't remember the rest does anyone know?

My husband is receiving blocked numbers and talking for hours. [ 12 Answers ]

Yet he says he won't answer calls from blocked numbers. What is going on?

How can I unblock blocked numbers in my cell? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiveing a blocked number for two days I can't figure out what to do? If I had this person's cell number I wouldve rather traced it!

How do I unblock blocked numbers? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been receiving harassing phonecalls for the past several months from a blocked number that reads "UNKNOWN" on my phone. I have suspicions about who is calling me but I want to be sure. They call everyday, and sometimes they call multiple times a day. If I don't answer, they leave me rude and...

View more questions Search