Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    verv_90210 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 02:32 AM
    Small claim outside canada?
    My relative who is Canadian citizen owed me CAD$17,000. I'm based here in Singapore. I wired the money using my bank account here. My relative doesn't entertain my calls, text and email messages. What should do to get my money back? Do I need to got the Canadian consulate here in Singapore to file a complaint?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 03:11 AM
    I don't think the consulate will intervene in a private matter such as this. Do you have an attorney in Canada you can contact?

Tick

Oct 25, 2011, 03:52 AM
    I don't have an attorney in canada... so what's the next step I need to do?
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 04:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by verv_90210 View Post
    i dont have an attorney in canada... so what's the next step i need to do?
    Find an attorney in Canada, but $l7,000 dollars is a little too steep for small claims court. Usually they are $5000 or less. What Province is involved ?

edit: small claims is $25,000 or less please see this website. It is for Ontario but don't think it varies much from province to province www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca ›... › Courts › Small Claims Court. Please enter 'small claims court' in search.

Tick

Oct 25, 2011, 04:22 AM
    She's in vancouver...
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 04:26 AM
    she's in vancouver...
    That is British Columbia. Okay, then you should read the website.

www.ag.gov.bc.ca › Attorney General › Court Services
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 05:08 AM
    I don't know about BC, but in most places small claims is just an option; you don't have to go small claims if you don't want to. Since OP is in a foreign country, I would suggest that OP look seriously into filing a standard lawsuit. One thing to consider is that it might be possible to obtain a judgment without having to go to trial. In the U.S. that is commmonly done by a summary judgment motion, and such a judgment is possible under the BC civil rules as well: http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bcl...01.xml#rule9-6.

The rules are here.

Oct 25, 2011, 05:32 AM
    What about going to the embassy or consulate? File a complaint to that canadian citizen whom a relative of mine? It's quite costly going to vancouver... airfare hotel... etc..
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 06:19 AM
    what about going to the embassy or consulate? file a complaint to that canadian citizen whom a relative of mine? it's quite costly going to vancouver... airfare hotel... etc..
    A counsulate is to assist it's citizens in a foreign place such as yours. An embassy is to represent it's government to other governments. What do you imagine the Canadian Consul could do for you? Contact your relative and demand payment? Doesn't work that way.

If you sue, and have to travel to Vancouver, these costs may be recoverable in the resulting judgment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 06:52 AM
    I am sorry no the embassy is not going to do anything for you, they are not courts of law, and you may file ( I guess) a complaint but it does nothing and has no legal help.

You need to hire an attorney, you may not even have to travel to Canada, the attorney may be able to handle everything with you there.
    Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    I am sorry no the embassy is not going to do anything for you, they are not courts of law, and you may file ( I guess) a complaint but it does nothing and has no legal help.

You need to hire an attorney, you may not even have to travel to Canada, the attorney may be able to handle everything with you there.

No, I don't think he will have to travel to Canada. The person who borrowed the money lives inBritish Columbia so he needs an attorney in Vancouver. Everything can be done by proxy, costly, but probably cheaper then travelling to Canada to have it done, airfare, hotel stay, (probably a long stay) as the OP pointed out.

Tick

Oct 26, 2011, 10:21 PM
    Thanks for all the replies... I really appreciated it... maybe, I'll have a holiday in BC and also pursue to get my money whatever the means... dual purpose...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim my property in Ontario, Canada [ 5 Answers ]

Ten months ago, my friend had introduced his friend to provide boat storage service for the winter. I have my boat parked in his friend's property for the winter and the service was ended in March and paid. The boat was supposed to return to my property in March. Because I was hospitalized in March...

Small claim/contra claim [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, My name is Andrey. I would like to ask for your opinion on the situation I faced. Two month ago I was contacted by the company that wanted me to translate the documents from Russian into English (I am certified translator/interpreter. I registered at online translator database;...

Small claim [ 1 Answers ]

The collection agency trying to sue me for my debts, I filled out the defense form and we had a settlement date which I attended. We did not settle the case and now within 30 days one of the parties has to apply for a trial. I was wondering should I apply but I am a defended or I have to wait for...

Statement of Claim Received In Ontario Canada [ 3 Answers ]

This past week a Major Canadian Bank filed a Statement of Claim against my wife and myself (approx. amount $25K - balance of an outstanding mortgage) This claim was date stamped Monday July 21, but not delivered to our home till Saturday, July 26 with no other indication that they had tried to...

Punitive/Recovery claim by Zellers-in Canada [ 6 Answers ]

Rec'd letter from atty representing Zellers regarding incident involving my 14 yr old son in Canada. He and others were apprehended in store after entering bathroom and opening up item with an dumb attempt to blow up balloons. LPO told them to come with him, questioned them without...

View more questions Search