Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttttom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Toilet Water Shut Off Valve
    Greetings,

After shutting off the water to the Toilet to fix something, the shutoff valve now leaks. I tried to tighten the packing nut - no luck - the pipe was starting to turn and I didn't want to break the pipe behind the wall.

So... I unscrewed the packing nut and went shopping for a new washer / neoprene ring to fix the problem. The guy at the store didn't have an exact match (the valve is 40 years old) and send me home with a wax and teflon washer. He said although it was not an exact match - it is smaller than the inside of the packing nut and larger than the valve stem... that the wax would compress and expand to make it work.

His directions were basically to tighten + pray, tighten + pray, until it expanded to close all the gaps.

Am I wasting my time? :confused:

Many thanks for you time.

Stilltrying2 in Carolina

BTW - the valve will close (shutoff the water) without fail
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
    If it's a compression angle stop just purchase a new one. Install the new stop using the old compression nut and ferule. Good luck, Tom

Feb 6, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Hi Tom,

Mine is screwed directly to the water pipe going into the wall. The whole set up is likely the original @ 40 years old - the water pipe has been painted many times and is maybe galvanized pipe.

It looks like this, but the right side of the valve is female and screws onto the water pipe:
    Name:  watershutoff.jpg
Views: 30544
Size:  25.2 KB

Also, my valve stem is copper / chrome plated copper.

#1 Do you think Ace Hardware would have the washer that goes inside the packing nut?
    #2 Or - a valve where I can use the old valve body ?

Comments Appreciated,

ST in Carolina

BTW the valve in the picture is not mine
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 08:22 PM
    You have an IPS (Iron Pipe Size) angle stop -- Your best bet would be to change the angle stop altogether.

If the stop puts up too much resistance when removing it (counter clockwise), then give it a nudge (clockwise) to loosen up the pipe dope and years of caked on paint before attempting to loosen it (counter clockwise).

If the stop has been on for 40+ years as you say, then the threads may have rusted out and will likely break off in the female end of the angle stop -- But don't panic if this happens, you can buy a 1/2" 'easy out' which will allow you to extract the nipple from the wall and then it's just a matter of replacing the nipple.

Feb 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
    iamgrowler...

That is what I am afraid of - rust outside the wall pipe and rust inside the wall pipe... this house used to be a rental property and was built "on the fly" 40 years ago... So If I start messing with the pipes, I don't know how much replacing I will have to do.

I am still voting for just a gasket change, and when we redo the tile floor or the whole bathroom - then change out all the pipes / valves

Thanks much for your comments - it is nice to know what I am about to get into and your post is a big help and comfort to this "Non-Plumber"

Regards - ST in NC

Feb 7, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Hi Folks,

Well, I was a big boy today – I changed out the 40 year old valve for a new ¼ Turn Ball Valve ! Since the threads were still good on the galvanized nipple, I bought the screw-on kind. It was extremely hard to get the old valve off, seemed like it was cemented on, but thank the Lord I didn't break the pipe off behind the wall. The water supply pipe from the wall was in great shape and with a little pipe dope, the new valve went on very easily. Unfortunately I broke the supply line to the toilet by too many turns of the wrench. So now that is new too !

Each of you has my utmost thanks for giving this Non-Plumber a bunch of tips. If you replied to my pleas for help and like great coffee, just PM me and I will give you my website address for a deal: ½ pound of free coffee for each pound you buy - or if you like tea - 7 free tea pouches for every 15 you buy.

Thanks again and enjoy your days !

Still Trying in Carolina
    :D
    Mr.Wolf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Most of the old houses use compression shutoff valves, buy another shutoff valve and uses same compression nut with the new one. I work everyday with old houses and I found same probleme over and over. BUT, please shut the main water valve first , and the use two wrench one to hold the back of the pipe and the other to remove the compression fitting. Good luck.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
    Hi Wolf and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. You're responding to a 5 year old dead thread. Look in then upper left hand corner of the first post form the date before you post, Thank you for your input. Very helpful. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Water Shut-off Valve [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace the valve supplying water to the toilet water tank, but am unable to unscrew it. It turns, but it does not come off. What can I do? Need help ASAP! Thank you!

Toilet Shut off Valve Broke off! [ 2 Answers ]

I dropped my hairdryer and it hit the toilet shut off valve. The oval shapped valve broke off - it looked like it was connected by plastic and some putty - probably some patch up job from the previous homeowner. Is it easy to replace just the knob?

Tube from the water shut off valve [ 1 Answers ]

My husband was turning off the water to the toilet while trying to fix something and the tube FROM the shut off valve TO the toilet tank broke. How can this be fixed by an amateur? Please help, we have 6 people in the house with one working toilet! Thanks!

View more questions Search