Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikegul Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Sub for a cleaning company
    Hi, I would like to open a small cleaning company, as a sub-contractor, any ideas on how to start? How will that work, I currently work for them, but would like to make extra money, I think I'm getting to the point where I'm not going to be making any more money by the hour at my work place, pros and cons for me and my employer, help please! Thanks
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
    Please detail this with more information Mike.

Are you saying that you want to open a cleaning company and use sub contractors as workers? If so, be very careful as there are very strict rules defining exactly what is a sub contractor and the IRS (if you live in the US) and your State taxing authority will be all over you if these people do not match their ruling/s as to what a sub is.

You may be far better off incorporating, getting the proper insurance and hiring employees.

Stringer
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 06:40 PM
    If you want to be a sub contractor for your current employer ? I guess why ? You will be liable for your taxes, insurance, have no workers comp coverage and more.

So you plan to work more hours than you are currently so you can have more jobs to clean, since then there is no overtime to pay?

Oct 25, 2011, 07:21 AM
    Im planning on getting insurance and to hire employees

Oct 25, 2011, 07:33 AM
    Sorry my previous post not showing, I will give more details... This guy opened a small companyB, he gets jobs from companyA, he makes sure to get jobs done on time and right, he is insured and the whole none yards, he charges companyA by the hr, he has 3 guys working for him, not sure if charging by hr will be what I want, like I said Im close to the cap on my salary, if I charge by the job or a % will probably make proffit, but will this affect proffit on my employer? Or will be good for him, since he won't have to worry about employees, and the sooner the jobs gets done, we will be making more money... Don't really want to sacrew him, he is a cool guy
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 25, 2011, 09:36 AM
    Hi Mike,

You should meet and set down with this owner and discuss in detail what you should charge if you want to make it 'good' for both of you. Set up a percentage of the jobs that you need to make money and he can do the same. Make sure that you cover all your expenses including payroll, equipment, admin, taxes, profit, etc.

Should a 'special' job come then you can figure that job individually.

Good luck,

Stringer

Oct 25, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Thanks stringer, think I will do that, see whtas better for both... Let you know..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How cleaning company find cleaning contracts? [ 12 Answers ]

How can I get cleaning contracts?

Cleaning Company [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently opened a cleaning company and I have been struggling to make ends meet because I don't know where to look for jobs and I don't have the means to market my company. My question here is Where do I look for Janitorial jobs ? Who do I contact? This is a problem because most buildings in...

Cleaning company [ 5 Answers ]

I am working on starting a new cleaning comp. what do I do to get insurance and bond?

Cleaning company [ 1 Answers ]

Hello :) I want to create a cleaning residencial company and I need to create a form where people looking for a cleaning jobs can fill out, beside the basic information like name, phone number, nationality, address etc. What else important information I need to get from them? And in the other...

View more questions Search