Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Noluck1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
    Maximum to collect on back child support?
    I have always paid the correct amount established by the courts to my ex. She/her attorney had petioned the courts last October for an increase because I received a unemployment compensation in 2010. The increase was based off my 2010 tax documents. The judge awarded her the increase and required me to repay back child support from 10/2010 current (lump sum), which I am. My income for 2011 has decreased drastically in 2011 and is no where near the 2010 figures. By this increase, I will only be left with #300/month to live on. I cannot survive on this. My attorney is going to repetition but will I have to wait for my 2011 tax return before I can get it lowered? Also, I thought there was a max on child support withholdings?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Why isn't your attorney using your weekly benefit print out from the UE office or offline and not waiting for the income tax 1099 form? If you receive your benefits from a state that allows you to file online, then you should be able to print out all of your weekly benefit check stubs and present that proof to the judge. Who says you have to wait for the 2011 tax return to file? You need this lowered now, not in a few months.
    Noluck1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
    Once I get the information to my attorney, will they be able to adjust the amount I have paid her (lump sum) from January 2011 to current that they said I owed and refund to me or credit me? How will that work?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
    An attorney can use you current weekly pay stubs or unemployment check copies to ask for a change in the amount of current withholdings. I have never heard any requirement for your tax return unless you have a lot of business investments and money not reported in normal weekly check

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can adult child collect back support if emancipated or married at 16? [ 2 Answers ]

Can an adult child collect back child support if they were emancipated at the age of 16? What about if they got married at 16?

How do I go about getting my child support payments to not go through support collect [ 2 Answers ]

My child support is currently collected through NYS support collections agency. I have had major issues with them. They are currently holding my child support for 30 days because they need to make "accounting adjustments" to my account. The non-custodial parent is 5 months ahead on his support...

Can I collect on back child support arrears? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a child surpport order that was never paid, but now the father of my children was killed back in 2006 left oweing a lot of back child support

Can I collect back child support if my exhusband did well and our son is now 26? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I collect back child support if my ex-husband did well and had restricted visiting rights, now that our son is 26 years old?

Can I collect back child support? [ 3 Answers ]

My 19 year old sons father has been incarcerated in another state since before he was born. At the time of our divorce, the court ordered him to pay child support. I called the child support office and they said my ex does have an arrears of several thousand dollars. Can I still collect...

View more questions Search