Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickyGuzman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2011, 05:28 AM
    "as joint tenants with right of survivorship" Florida
    My girlfriend and I own a house and we were told that if something happen to either of us the house will go into probate because its missing the "as joint tenananst with right of survivorship" on the deed.

Is this accurate? Should we change the deed?

Thanks
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 05:40 AM
    Yes, that's correct. If it doesn't say joint tenants with right of survivorship (or JTWROS) then if one person dies their share ownership becomes part of their estate rather than going completely to the other person.

If you want the surviving person to get the entire ownership of the house then the deed has to say joint tenants with right of survivorship (or JTWROS) after the names of the grantees. You can fix this by having a corrective deed filed. I suggest that you have this done by a title company or attorney rather than doing it yourself. It should not be expensive and you'll know that it was done properly.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyGuzman View Post
    ... its missing the "as joint tenananst with right of survivorship" on the deed. ...
    What does it say instead?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming a joint tenant with right of survivorship [ 2 Answers ]

My father recently moved into a nursing home. His wife no longer wanted to take care of him and has never returned to the home they once lived in together. She moved away to another country. No divorce, she just visits him in the nursing home within the same country. My sister is his POA because...

Can a joint tenant on a mortgage allow a man to live with other joint tenants? [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter and husband have a joint tenancy mortgage/deed with my exhusband. My daughter has made $76,000 worth of mortgage payments while living in the home with her husband and child. Recently she became ill and unemployed. The house was on the market for many months with no offers, and the...

How do I evict tenants? I live in Florida, ex lives in Tennessee. Tenants are friends [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the story. My wife and I used to live in our house in Michigan. She moved to Tennessee first with the kids. I moved to Florida by myself. Upon leaving the home, she suggested I rent the property to friends of hers. I was getting the rent at first and then now they send it to her only. ...

Joint tenancy with survivorship vs will [ 2 Answers ]

If my mother and stepfather each leave to the other in their will all of their property, etc And they have a joint tenancy with survivorship warranty deed... Where does that leave us kids... He has kids and she has kids... When one dies does his/her half automatically jump to the kids...

View more questions Search