Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ingyross Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 05:06 AM
    Sealing of oak furniture?
    Hi, I would like to know how to seal my side table, it being the top of an oak wine barrel, it has been treated with olive oil...
    And I have a black wood (ebony) study desk... does this desk need a treatment of some sort of oil?
    Thank you Ingrid
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2011, 05:25 AM
    Unless the oil has been drying for quite a long time you can't easily 'seal' it with anything like polyurethane, which needs a clean dry surface. You could put butcher's wax on it, or a glass top. The wax will allow water to bead up on it but not prevent alcohol from getting through.
    If the ebony is real ebony, I would leave it as is. If it's some other wood with a stain, then you can seal it with any product you wish - a satin poly, perhaps, or a tung oil (which is usually synthetic these days; look at the can). The difference is that poly sits more on the surface while oils/fake oils sink in.

Oct 23, 2011, 05:52 AM
    Thank you very much for your reply, Joypulv, will try the butcher's wax.
    And yes it is real ebony, we just live in a very dry county and thought it may dry out and crack.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 23, 2011, 06:30 AM
    OK then I would oil the ebony with real oil, even boiled linseed, which takes extra work rubbing in and repeating.
    The old saying is once a day for a week, once a week for a year, once a year for life.
    But you can probably save it from cracking by using a synthetic or mixed oil such as Minwax makes.

Oct 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
    Thanks again, much appreciated !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rubber Stains on Light Oak Furniture [ 8 Answers ]

We have a solid light oak wood end table where the rubber pads on the bottom of the clock radio have left many gray marks which we can't seem to remove. They appear to be imbedded; not on the surface. We have tried - soap and water, clorox bleach and even soft scrub. Any ideas what to use?

Water Mark on Light Oak Furniture [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light oak sideboard which now has a water mark ring caused by a vase of flowers very slowly leaking out of the bottom of the vase. Any ideas how to get rid of this ring? I have tried soapy water but to no effect. The surface is not varnished, merely oiled.

Sealing Grain in Oak Cabinets before Painting? [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to paint my cheap oak prefab kitchen cabinets. I am worried that I will have to apply numerous coats to hide the grain. The doors are thin with a frame around them and I think they were sealed with some type of urethane, but that has worn away unevenly. I'm wondering if there is...

Removing marks from light oak furniture [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: We have a solidlight oak wood table which someone stood a chilled alliminium lager can on in 2 place and we can't get the stain out - anyideas? Also on another piece of solid light oak wood furniture the rubber pads on the bottom of the telephone have left marks which we can't seem to...

View more questions Search