Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlewis38562 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 09:17 PM
    Flames in gas fireplace goes out, not just the pilot. Will fumes get in house?
    The flames went out in my gas fireplace while on low, in the middle of the night. Not just the pilot, but the actual flames. When this happens will fumes escape into the house?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Yes they can. You can also have a gas explosion if they accumulate and then ignite. The pilot allows the gas valve to stay open and unless you manually shut the gas off or have the pilot go out, the gas will escape. Hopefully, the gas went up the stack but be careful in the future. Did you manually turn down the flame?
    tlewis38562 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
    The flame has gone out in the middle of the night. Two nights in a row. Not going to use it till I can get someone to look at it. Hate to use electric heat but, hate the idea of blowing up even more. LOL Thanks for your help.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2011, 03:33 PM
    Can you smell the gas or relight the burner without changing the control? Is it NG or Propane? Vented or non vented? Can you manually turn down the flame? It could be a gas valve issue or a weak thermocouple. I'd probably change the thermocouple and make sure the pilot flame is properly directed on the thermocouple.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fumes from a ventless gas fireplace [ 14 Answers ]

My daughter owns a three-year old townhome with a ventless gas fireplace. When she turns it on, it spells like "gas fume." Is this dangerous? If so, can she remove the gas one and replace it with an electric one? What about the gas line?

Gas Fireplace pilot is out [ 2 Answers ]

My gas fireplace was working fine and then it turned off and the pilot is out. We don't know what happened or how to get it started again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I can't find the paperwork that came with unit at this time. Unit runs on natural gas which runs under our...

Does gas emit in the house when pilot light of gas fireplace goes out? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a gas fireplace and on a windy day the pilot light actually went out. My dad said that even though the pilot light isn't on it's emitting gas into the house- which is a health hazard, but I thought that as long as the switch that turns on the light is off there is no risk. Can anyone tell me...

Pilot light on gas fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas fireplace is too high I think. How do you adjust the pilot light?

Vented gas fireplace fumes [ 2 Answers ]

Our direct vented gas fireplace still has an awful smell even after 20 hours of burning off the smell (the manufacturer suggested 6 to 8 hours of intense heat). The installation has been checked and is okay. The fumes are from the coating on the metal. Has anyone experienced this? We are ready...

View more questions Search