Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btluke Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 09:28 AM
    Payroll in Military time
    I work for a franchised fast food business in Texas. On one of my paychecks I received a total of 510.56 when I was supposed to receive 510.64. Now, I know 8 cents out of one check isn't a big deal, but it's the fact that they took anything out, for what id believe isn't any legit reason. The account told me their system uses military time and that all the minuets were converted to percentages of the hours I worked. I though military time used minuets the same way regular time and therefore shouldn't be any difference in the actual amount I'm supposed to be paid before taxes. No other check has had money missing like that. I was also told by the account to fax over any proof I might have so I get my check stub and ask the shiftleader for a copy of the payroll report so I may fax it over to him. The manager/ owners say I am now no longer able to obtain a copy of my estimated payroll report. Does any of this make since? What can I do about this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 09:43 AM
    I assume you mean minutes. Military time is the same as "normal" time. It simply uses a 24 hour clock. Twelve Noon is Twelve. O'Clock in the afternoon is 13 - and so forth.

Minutes don't change. There are still 60 minutes in an hour.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by btluke View Post
    ... their system uses military time and that all the minuets were converted to percentages of the hours I worked. ...
    Two things to note here and only one of them makes any difference:
    • military time: as JudyKayTee said, the minutes worked would be the same.
    • conversion to percentages of hours. This would make the difference depending on the precision used.

How was the time you worked recorded? Did you punch a time clock? If the punch clock (or timesheet on which you record your time) is in minutes, and the payroll people convert percentages of an hour, they should really be more precise in their conversion formulas. But at any order of precision rounding-off is necessary in some cases.

They probably cannot find a decimil time clock, and if you use a time-sheet instead my guess is that they ask for minutes because the alternative would be to ask you to convert from minutes to percentages; and that would be asking for mistakes.

But as you note, 8 cents is not that big of a deal.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
    Usually time clocks work in increments of 6 minutes meaning that for each 6 minutes makes 1/10th of an hour. At least that's the way I was paid at one place where I had to punch a time clock. If I punched in between 8:00 and 8:06 I was not late, but if I clocked in at 8:07 I was considered late. Same goes for clocking out at the end of the day.

You need to ask them exactly how they figure out how they calculate your pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military time instead of jail time? [ 3 Answers ]

In the old days they used to let people enlist in the military instead of going to prison do they still do that? What about in Connecticut?

What was jail time like in the military in the 1870s [ 2 Answers ]

What was jail time like in the military in the 1870

Military time used on airlines [ 1 Answers ]

I have some knowledge of Military time the plane arrived is 14:53 which I believe Is 2:53pm. But what about 00:20 I don't get the 00 in front of the numbers

View more questions Search