Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack511PINEBIG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 02:06 AM
    Is there a warrant if I don't respond ?
    If a judgment is filed against you in another state [small claims] is a warrant issued to appear in the court for not responding to served a subpeona
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2011, 08:50 AM
    No, Small Claims Court does not issue warrants. Instead, the Plaintiff will get a Judgment against you for a monetary amount and then collect that judgment under the laws of your State.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jack511PINEBIG View Post
    if a judgement is filed against you in another state [small claims] is a warrent issued to appear in the court for not responding to served a supeona
    Normally, if a small claims lawsuit is filed against you, a summons (not a subpoena; that is for witnesses) would be issued and served on you.

It's not a judgment unless you fail to contest it; or if you do contest it the judge finds that you are liable anyway.

If you fail to respond, you will not be arrested (as with a warrant), but the remedy is a default judgment. Warrants are for criminal cases. A small claims matter is not crminal. It is civil.

If it is in another state, the applicable rules might or might not allow you to be sued. But in any event, there are specific rules on how service of the summons must be accompished.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Agree with the above, There is no criminal issue, and no warrant, you merely lose your civil case and they win any and everything they were asking for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A few questions about arrest warrant/search warrant in Ontario, Canada [ 12 Answers ]

If there is an arrest/search warrant issued for you, what address do they raid? (as in how do they find out where you live... driver's license?) Say for example, you moved out of your parents home and live by yourself... are they allowed to raid parents home (previous address)?

Recovery Warrant, Civil Warrant or Detainer Warrant? [ 4 Answers ]

I closed on the purchase of a house on April 27th. The seller notified a roommate (who was "not" a tenant) to move on April 4th. He moved his furniture on April 12 but left 4 broken down vehicles, and 2 garages wall-to-wall with things. He is dragging his feet on moving because he's angry at the...

Do I respond to my ex? [ 15 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend dumped me abruptly as we were about to move forward with our relationship and went back to her ex. I pretty much started no contact right away and told her she could contact me someday if she got herself together. About two months later, she wrote me stating how sorry she is she...

View more questions Search