Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sachinkotagond Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 12:20 PM
    Can "Superposition Theorem" be applied to find power in a circuit?
    I was wondering if Superposition Theorem can be applied to find power in a circuit?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Oct 22, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Indirectly, yes, since power can be expressed in terms of voltages and currents which CAN be applied to linear circuits.

Calculating power directly using superposition, however, does not work because power goes like the square of the voltage or the current. The fundamental theorem of superposition relies on the fact that things add linearly. Power doesn't behave that way. If you double the voltage, for example, power goes up by a factor of four.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can current backflow through a circuit breaker if volt/amps are applied to the load s [ 4 Answers ]

I was looking to set up a generator circuit in the event of a power outage to keep my sump pump and furnace going. I want to find out, if I manually trip a circuit breaker, can I use the load side of the circuit breaker to continue to power the sump pump and furnace (using the same size wire of...

Power on circuit goes on and off - circuit breaker not tripped [ 3 Answers ]

The power on one of our circuit serving the garage and outside outlets goes off, but the circuit breaker does not trip. It used to go off for a few minutes/hours and to come back on for days/months. Now it is seems to be off most of the time, but still comes back occasionally for a few minutes...

I have a 90 Plus furance/air unit. The blower motor locksup when power is applied. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I check to see if there is another problem besides the motor? When power is applied to the motor it locks up like it is single phasing. I do have a VOM meter. Is there a way to check the relays, board and capacitor to see if they are what caused the motor to burnup. It smells bad although I...

Taking power from existing 3 way circuit to power another switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have another question, hope its not too confusing. I have an existing 3 way switch for the lights in my stairwell. I want to change the single gang box to a 2 gang box and add another switch to power 6 new can lights. Can I disconnect the hot (black) wire and add a pigtail and feed power to...

Power equipment dies when gas applied [ 5 Answers ]

I have a yard machine grass trimmer and a Stihl back pack leaf blower and both seem to have similar problems right now. I can get the trimmer to idle just barely but any gas at all and it dies instantly. I can get the leaf blower to idle perfectly fine but will die out when the gas is applied all...

View more questions Search