Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    M.WAHL Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Water meter slowly moving after turning off main water valve .
    Do we need a professional to find the problem? Recently had an irrigation system put in . That meter is separate and is not moving when off. Any opinions about where the problem may be?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
    Hi M.WAHL

I believe you have two issues here. Your first issue is that the main shutoff valve isn't fully closing... most likely needs to be replaced.

Your second issue could be that one (or more) of your toilets is leaking at the flapper or flush valve inside the toilet tank. To test this, drop 10-15 drops of food coloring into the toilet TANK and then wait an hour to see if the color shows up in the toilet BOWL. If it does, the flapper or the entire flush valve assembly and flapper need to be replaced.

Try the dye test and pop back to let us know what you found/think, OK?

PS: There is no movement at the irrigation meter because there are no leaks in the irrigation system... :)

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal for water to be discolored after turning the water valve off? [ 2 Answers ]

We had a leak in our kitchen and we turned the main water supply off to fix it, afterwards we had very low water pressure in only the kitchen sink. So we turned off the supply valve to kitchen sink to see if when we turned it back on the pressure would return to normal. It did not and the water...

Dripping behind wall? Drips heard AFTER turning off main water valve! [ 2 Answers ]

I hear dripping behind the toilet and shower wall upstairs in my bathroom and just below in my kitchen -- all the time! There is no relationship to rain or running water. I turned off the water to my toilet, no change. Then, I turned off the main water valve to the whole house, STILL no change. I...

No water pressure at kitchen after turning main water off and on [ 1 Answers ]

I had a leaky shutoff valve between cold water stub and kitchen sink supply line. I turned off home main water supply and disconnected sink supply line from valve. I then realized it is not a compression fitting and since I don't have a propane torch I put it all back together and turned main water...

Hot Water Heating System Left on With Main Water Valve Shut-off [ 1 Answers ]

Can the hot water heating system be left on with the main water valve shut off while on vacation?

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

View more questions Search