Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ARPES Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 06:38 AM
    1987 Celica: Air Con Prob
    Hi

I have a 1987 twin cam celica. The air con is not working. When I press the switch, the green light on the switch comes on , and then blinks... and the air con won't start.

Any ideas??
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 04:15 PM
    The compressor is losing it's RPM signal. It's one of these things:
    Slipping belt
    Bad rpm sensor (on the bottom of the compressor)
    Compressor clutch is slipping
    Or the compressor itself. But this is least of the problems.

Have the system evacuated, install a new RPM sensor, a new drive belt, and then convert to R134A refrigerant. Then go from there. Cost should be around 300.

Feb 6, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Cool! Thanks. Before I do this though, do you think it could be one of the relays that control the A/C??
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ARPES
    Hi

I have a 1987 twin cam celica. The air con is not working. When I press the switch, the green light on the switch comes on , and then blinks...and the air con wont start.

Any ideas???
    There's only one relay for compressor. It's called "mag cluch" for the magnetic clutch. Others are for fans. There's also a 10A fuse. But the most common fix for complaints just like yours is what I said at first.
    What should be happening is when you start the engine, then swich on the A/C button, It will light up for about 2 seconds, then it starts to blink. At this time, everything was working for that 2 seconds. So the relay is good. The compessor sees a problem with the revolutions and goes into shut down. Like I said, mag clutch may be not engaging, or the belt slips, or the rpm sensor itself. And the latter was a very common fix at my shop.
    One question: not that it makes much difference, is this a ST, GT, or GTS Celica?

Feb 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
    It is a GT I think (in Australia they call it an SX). It's the 3S-GE 16V twin cam engine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 toyota celica [ 1 Answers ]

Apparently they washed the motor and now the car won't start. I changed spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor. I have spark but I tested the injectors with the light tester and I have no signal on 2 cylinders. I'm not sure if maybe the distributor went bad. I also put some starting fluid in the breather....

Prob. Variable Speed Air handler [ 2 Answers ]

A Trane XL14i heat pump was installed 6/8/05. The variable speed air handler fan only runs at full speed or off, but not slow when demand is low. The dealer's tech has replaced 2 electronic modules, to no avail. He can't seem get expert advice from Trane. I would greatly appreciate any advise to...

Is it just a con? [ 5 Answers ]

We've been living together for 6yrs. Quite often NOT for the last 2. This last fight was really bad on his part. I kicked him out again. 2wks later he says he bought me a new car as a wedding gift. Then he tells me I'm not on the insurance. Then he admits he bought it for establishing HIS credit...

Air con water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this forum and I hope you guys can help with my question. I'm by no means an expert on air cons & I work in the hospitality industry but here goes. I have a problem with a unit which is located on the 5fh floor of a hotel, this is a water cooled unit and is fed from chillers...

View more questions Search