Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcristini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
    I have water leaking in above the ceiling in kitchen?
    Above the kitchen is a window to the bathroom. When it is wind driven rain it takes a while but then comes in at a steady pace. After removing the ceiling above, the exposed metal joist is rusted along with the wood underneath. The water is coming in where the addition meets the bricks, but the flashing has been replaced twice, the roof is new, and I put a water repellant and filled the mortar cracks in the bricks above. Still the rain comes in.
    HELP
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 03:10 PM
    This could even be a roof leak, they enter one place and expose themselves many feet away in an apparently unrelated area. Who did the flashings?
    jcristini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 03:56 PM
    Hi, the roof has been done 2 years ago, the small roof jutt out was done twice. The leak has been pre-existing for many, many years, since before I bought this home. Also, apparently others who have the same home built some 27 years ago on the street have the same leak. I have had the windows caulked, new limestone sills were put in before I bought the home and I placed water repellant on the bricks/mortar last week. Somehome, somewhere the rain still gets in...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jacuzzi bath water leaking to kitchen ceiling [ 8 Answers ]

The bathroom in my house was completely renovated 5 years ago. Tonight, I had a bath in my jacuzzi soaker tub, without the jets on, just wanted a nice long soak. I thought I could hear water dripping, but I couldn't figure out what it could be. Later, when I came downstairs, there was water all...

Shower is leaking through kitchen ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

What causes the upstairs shower to leak through the kitchen ceiling? My stand-alone shower is leaking water through the ceiling in the breakfast nook. It is a continuous drip if the shower is on. However, if it is on for a long time, the build up of pressure actually causes the water to come...

Tub leaking through to kitchen ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I discovered a leak and isolated it to the drain that connects underneath the tub in the bathroom. I couldn't see all the way around, but felt it and it feels like the housing is cracked. Also, it appears that the gasket is off and there is a gap between it and the tub. I did replace the drain...

Water leaking through kitchen ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We live in military housing. The buildings are old, old enough to have had boiler rooms when they were first built. When we moved in the bathtub would take an hour to drain even 1/4 of the water from the tub. We tried everything ourselves then called housing and had them come fix it... the water...

Plumbing, water leaking from kitchen ceiling/wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have water coming down from kitchen ceiling (under bathroom) and the outside wall has a soaked through patch clearly visible at the bathroom floor level. The insurer's plumber says the job requires a 'dig out' - what does this mean? I understand I have a 'lead' pipe under the bathtub that may...

View more questions Search