Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hlgilbert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 09:43 AM
    New air conditioning increased electric bill
    My mother has a 1971 vintage condo with a through-the-wall compressor and a gas furnace sitting on top of the air handler in the hall. About a 1,200 SF ground floor apartment with 2.5 ton straight cool unit. The compressor died and I was told this type were not very high efficiency, and only one type was available. So I had it installed, but decided not to replace the air handler. Electric bill went from $125 to $300 a month. A/C guy said units mismatched, even though both same size, new one is more efficient SEER than the other, so I replaced the air handler. No change in the electric bill. Still $300 a month. He was out several times, no answers, says all pressures are correct, but air temp not getting as cold as it should but no reason found, blaming in on location of compressor at inside corner of L shaped building that does not allow for good air circulation at compressor. But old unit ran fine for 30 years in the same location.

Any ideas? I tried two other A/C guys who both said unit seemed to be within specs.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2011, 12:42 PM
    Get a thermometer and check the temp of supply air,, not knowing the layout, if you can also check temp. of the return air,, tell us and lets go from there
    JonesHVAC Posts: 173, Reputation: 12

Oct 19, 2011, 05:27 PM
    wmproop has a good start... also what state do you live in?
    hlgilbert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2011, 07:56 AM
    Thanks! I will check the temps this weekend. The condo is in South Pasadena, Florida, which is west St. Pete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I put an electric fireplace will it make my electric bill go up really high? [ 5 Answers ]

So I want to go and buy an electric fireplace for my house but I don't want my electric bill to sky rocket, I mean I would expect it to go up a little, so does anyone know?

Water bill increased $43 using garden hose [ 9 Answers ]

I used the hose to wash down the deck last month and never should have left the valve open. Even though I wasn't using the sprayer, the valve was still open and it was leaking gallons of water. This was my stupidity, and I am payng for it now, but I was really tired and couldn't keep shutting off...

What is difference between split Air Conditioning & window Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

What is difference between split Air Conditioning & window Air Conditioning

Geothermal air thermostat turning on/off a lot, electric bill is very! High! [ 4 Answers ]

Our house is 6 months old (3400 sq. ft.) and has the latest in eco effiency, we live in VA. We use PROPANE cooktop, clothes dryer, and hotwater system. When the hot weather came our electric bill almost doubled. People with older homes and more sq. ft. saided their electric bills were almost a...

View more questions Search