Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reoreo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 12:03 AM
    Should I ditch him because he is stingy and calculating?
    When I first went out with this guy, I forced myself to accept that we have to pay 50/50 each time we have a meal. One day, I could not take it anymore so I told him that we take turns to pay meals, regardless of the amount, so that will look as though we are not so "calculative" with each other. Though this system seems fair, in reality I am paying for him because he eats double my portion and orders extra dishes when it is my turn to pay.

In the past, my ex - boyfriends have always paid for me, I really can't accept this system. Once when we went for holiday together, everything was split 50/50 including the room that we stayed up to cents. Despite being 6 years older than I am, he earns the same amount as I do. And at the rate that both of us are going, it is likely that I will overtake him anytime soon. It does not mean that I am richer than him, I have a lot of other commitments and in nett effect, I actually have less to spend on than him. He is very thrifty with his money, he doesn't even contribute to his family even though he is staying with them. He has 60k in savings but why is he behaving like that? He refuses to invest in properties.. All his money is in fixed deposit. I believe he is doing so because he is afraid of losing his money and hence only put in his money where it is safe even though it doesn't grow. He drives a 22 years old car and I am embarrassed to be seen in it and when I try to talk to him about it, there is no indication that he will change his car any time soon. He is always seen in just a few shirts, just about 5 shirts. He doesn't care about his fashion and I don't even want to be acknowledged as his girlfriend.

Because of all these, I am getting bored of him. He talks about marriage whereas I try to avoid the topic. I feel that he is behaving like that because he is hoarder and also he had been cheated before in the past. If there is no trust in relationship, I find that there is no point that we carry on. I don't see myself marrying a man who can't even pay for my meal. What about diapers, baby expenses when the baby comes along? I can be independent but if I have to live a life like that, I rather be alone. I don't know why we got together in the first place.

Should I ditch him?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
    Of course you should ditch him, since you don't like him or his ways. Hey you tried, hope it was fun, but stick a fork in this relationship... its done.
    BK201 Posts: 338, Reputation: 150

Oct 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Even with different ideologies, people have successful relationships and marriages. The reason is acceptance and tolerance. But when there is something that neither of you can tolerate, its better to quit. The only thing that bothered me was, the 50/50 deal (yukk what is that! ). But, Just seen is 5 shirts, I think its his prerogative, as long as they fit him.
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Why would you continue a relationship with someone whose style you don't like. I personally don't see anything wrong with spliting things 50/50 since men and women are equal right? Why do you expect your boyfriend to pay for everything or for most of things, you guys make the same amount of money, and your expenses are controlled by what you choose to expend your money on. As far as his savings, that is none of your business, you are not married an that is HIS money. To finalize, if there is no trust in the relationship regardless of what the reason is, then there is no relationship.
    reoreo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2011, 06:38 PM
    Dear all, thanks for your replies. mmresd, it's not my expectation that he pays for EVERYTHING. I never expected that when he can't even pay for 1 meal. I think it is a nice gesture for at least trying to pull the wallet out and pretending to want to pay. In my case, he counts up to CENTS. I'm sure you wouldn't like that too.

When I talked about about his money, I think you have missed the point. The point is not that I want to control where he spends his money or wishing that he could spend it on me. The main gist is about TRUST issue.

Anyway all of you are right. I should not continue with this since there are things I can't accept.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do stingy boyfriends ever change? [ 9 Answers ]

I am so tired of my boyfriends behaviour when it comes to money. He is such a cheapskate it's making me miserable being around him. He earns quite a comfortable amount of money and has lots of money saved but chooses to miss lunch or sometimes dinner just so he doesn't spend a penny. In this...

Am I over reacting or is my boyfriend being too stingy? [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, so I've been dating my boyfriend for a year and 1 month now. I love him to death, everything about our relationship is awesome except one aspect: MONEY. Let me start by saying that I am and have always been a very independent woman and never been needy as far as material things, I have never...

My boyfriend is stingy [ 31 Answers ]

Hi, well, I have been seeing this guy very cute, lovely and mature recently- about two months and I had a great time with him, now it's the time to make up my mind and see if this relatioship is worth to work on it. Well besides all of the things I like about him, one thing is really bothering me...

Is my boyfriend stingy, or am too picky? [ 18 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for a little over a month. First things first, he is sweet, sensitive, and there for me when I physically need him (a ride to the airport, a change of a flat tire etc.) However, there is once concern that I have: money. Going out I would say he pays spends 70% of the...

Ditch him or not [ 1 Answers ]

Well I met a man 3 weeks ago on line. We emailed, talked on the phone. I have met him twice,for lunch, he calls me everyday 2-3 times to ask how I am and just to talk. Tells me to call whenever I feel like it. (I had been with a guy whom was an alcoholic, womanizer, always staring and talking of...

View more questions Search