Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bgeitner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
    My employer says I do not get paid for bereavement no matter who it is. Is that legal
    Does your employer have to pay you when you take off for bereavement?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 07:44 PM
    No. It is not required by law to pay an employee for time off for a death in the family.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 18, 2011, 09:19 PM
    No, although many companies do have such a policy, and it varies by family member and by number of days allowed. They have no obligation to give you a paid day off.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
    The company has no legal obligation to pay you for taking time off to mourn anyone or go to a funeral.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer paid taxes being paid by employee [ 7 Answers ]

I started with a new company as an employee I am a loan officer I wanted to be an independent contractor as I have always been that in the past but they said I could not do so They are now requiring me to pay the employer taxes (FICA 6.2%, Medicare 1.45%, Fed/state unemployment 1% and 4.35% for...

Tax treaty and F1/OPT: does the employer matter? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm filing my 2009 taxes. I was on F1/OPT from January to Sept 30th, and then on H1B from October 1st. I'm a nonresident alien, and I initially moved to the US in 2005, so this is the 5th return I'm filing. I've look at past threads on this forum and others, and the consensus...

Civil Lawsuit-Legal Matter [ 4 Answers ]

I was taken off social security disability because I made above the monthly threshold. I am disputing the amount I owe. Social Security "will not" let me appeal. I was told I am general labor and have no rights. I disagree. Can I file a civil suit for harassment and discrimination? I have...

Where do I stand as a legal matter at this point of four years later? [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I stand in a legal matter at this point? I have been divorced since Aug 2006, my daughter was barely two the last time she saw her daddy. She is now five and we have not received no child support a visit or phone call. I was just getting ready to see a lawyer about terminating his...

Legal matter [ 4 Answers ]

I was fired by a company in November of 2008. In February I Turned the TV on and saw my face being used in an advertisement for that company. Just recently I went into their website and they have my face in about 5 videos and they are also mentioning me by name to promote their business. My...

View more questions Search