Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ValColgain Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
    Promissory NOte
    I am holding a Promissory Note from my ex-husband. Under the note he is supposed to make monthly payments to me by the 15th of every month and monthly payments to the dealership on the balance owing on a motorcycle. The loan and motorcycle title are in MY name. He's been late almost every single payment to both. The dealership said it's not delinquent until its 30 days late, but it's my credit. I need the monthly payments to me by the 15th to help with other financial issues he's caused. Can I call the note due on him being consistently late? I don't want a judgment, I want the motorcycle back since it's mine. The PN also states that if he is "delinquent" that the motorcycle comes back to me and he forfeits any payments he's made to me or the dealership. What can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 18, 2011, 03:43 PM
    The problem is he is not being delinquent. So you can't call the note. Does the note specify late charges? Does he pay them?
    ValColgain Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
    No late charges, but the promissory note states that he is to pay me $_____ ON OR BEFORE the 15th of every month and the lender $________ ON OR BEFORE the 20th of every month. The note is secured by the motorcycle.
    Upon default in payment OR late payment to either of us he is to give me immediate physical possession of the motorcycle without demand or notice and forfeits all amounts paid. He's only been current on 3 out of 23 payments to the lender and is rarely on time with the payments to me. The lender would not say he's in default but he is late paying them every month and I have the statement to prove it. I've asked and tried to be nice but he put me in such a financial bind that I need his payment to me so I can make other debt payments he caused. I've already written $10,000 in debt off from this guy. I sent him a certified letter yesterday and think I'll file a small claims action. I believe when the Judge hears the full story and having the motorcycle in my name and the loan... I feel like I'll get the motorcycle back. Your thoughts?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ValColgain View Post
    ... The loan and motorcycle title are in MY name. He's been late almost every single payment to both. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The problem is he is not being delinquent. ...
    Sounds like he is being delinquent to me, despite what the dealership says.

So, if you have the title, and he is in fact not paying the installments when they are due, why don't you just repossess the bike?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 19, 2011, 02:35 PM
    Based on the wording in the note, you can go pick up the motorcycle. However, he might not be willing to just turn it over. If you go to court and get a judgment you can have a sheriff accompany you. And, yes, you should win.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promissory note [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Fl. And have a balloon promissory note on my mobile home that reached maturity last year. The lender has note contacted me and I keep paying. The interest is very high and on a $30,000 loan I have paid $16,500 with a balance of $29,000 still due. I need to know what I can do to get out of...

How to cancel a promissory note? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a car registered in my trust name.. I signed a promissory note to my son for the car however the note said nothing about it being taken out of the trust name. I need to cancel this note and reclaim the car as the car still remains in my Trust and I am the trustee. I have filed bankruptcy...

Promissory Note Enforcement [ 2 Answers ]

I loaned someone $3000. Upon the loan there is a clause that states that there the money must be used for a certain purpose, though there is no purpose listed in the agreement. Verbally, we agreed the money was purposed for earnest money. In any event, since lending the money I have heard...

Promissory Note [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, If a company on 12/31/05 discounts a promissory note of $30,000 at a bank. The note was created on 06/30/05 with a term of one year, and an interest rate of 8%. The bank's discount rate is 12%. How can I record this entry? I'm sort of confused with what rate to use here, thank...

Promissory Note [ 3 Answers ]

I lent money to a so-called "friend" of mine where I had him sign a Promissory note. The promissory note explained the terms for re-payment. It also clearly stated the consequences in case of default. I also had a security agreement with his home and the contents being the collateral. I have...

View more questions Search