Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mkchumma Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 PM
    L1b to h1b
    Hi, I am working on employer A on L1B visa and now applied for h1b and waiting for a approval notice. Next week my employer A is planning to cancel the l1b. But I have valid I-94 until next year. So is it legal to stay with I-94 even though l1b is cancelled..
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Oct 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
    Yes if your change of status to H-1B was timely filed and it was filed as a COS and not for consular notification. Please note that you are not staying in the US with authorization based on the issued L-1B I-94, but as an applicant for a change of status to H-1B.

You cannot work as an H-1B (no H portability) until you have the approval in hand as you were not in H-1B status previously.

Oct 18, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Thanks. Have another question - so in case, for any reason COS is requested for RFE/denied then do I have to leave this country immediately?

Oct 18, 2011, 03:14 PM
    They give you a "reasonable" amount of time, but the exact time is not specified in the regs. You are still authorized to stay during the RFE period, but cannot work.

Nov 18, 2011, 02:28 PM
    FYI. My h1b petition is denied due. The reason for it is "providing the end client letter."

Nov 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Sorry to hear about the H-1B COS denial. Have you discussed with the attorney the chances on an appeal? If you re-apply now, you will need to leave the US to apply for the visa after it is approved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1B to H1B transfer [ 0 Answers ]

Hi. I am presently working in the USA using an L1B visa sponsor by company A, but this company B in the USA also interested in me and they willing to sponsor me an H1B visa. Can I immediately transfer to them? I work for company A in 2 weeks time only. Is there any legal matters that company A,...

L1b to H1b [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently residing in US from last 1.5 yrs on L1b from Company A. Company B is going to apply for a H1b for me this year. Here I have a few doubts- 1.) As I am already in US, should Company B apply for a change of status from L1b to H1b or a regular H1b or will it be...

L1B to H1B Transfer [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, Iam currently on L1B (with family on L2) with company A. Company B has agreed to process my H1B for 2008. My Criteria is that I have to go back to company A in india to get my relieving letter from company A. So I want the Flexibillity of going back to india for a month and come back...

View more questions Search