Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunshine807 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2011, 12:16 PM
    How to get someone to fix my dryer...
    How can I get someone to fix my 2 month old dryer. It is under warranty, the store sent a repairman who said nothing was wrong with it. How can he say that when it does not even start? He said he would come back and replace the cord (which was also new) and the receptacle but he never came back. I called to reschedule but they said they will charge me if they find nothing wrong. I have had electricians (they charge service fees every time) and the power company check all wires and they say everything is working. I have spent hundreds but still no working dryer. Who can I call to repair the dryer? It uses 240v.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Lets start all over. Who installed the dryer? If it doesn't start, how could they have said it was OK? Does the door shut properly? If it doesn't work, you call the manufacturer and talk to their customer service line and complain to them. If you haven't paid for the dryer, and are sure it is defective, don't pay until you are satisfied.

Oct 18, 2011, 03:53 PM
    I bought it in Aug 2011 and already paid. Also paid for a 5 year warranty. I bought it at Lowe's and it's a Whirlpool. I called Whirlpool for a second opinion and they said since Lowe's already said there is nothing wrong with the functionality of the dryer (even though it does not start) they would charge me an additional $129 just to come look at it. What a rip off. Just today I had another electrician (one electrician already said there is no problem with my wiring) tell me that all the wiring checks out and can support 240v. I asked him for an estimate to run all new wiring, it has to work then right? If not, I will file a claim with attorney general's office against Lowe's. I really need the dryer. By the time I get done I will have spent thousands, just for a stupid dryer. (if it even works then.. lol) I wish I never heard of such a device right now. I have hand injuries and it's so difficult to get to laundromat or hang up to dry. Thanks for your reply!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
    First you need to have someone verify power at the plug(hots, neutral and ground).
    Then if cord is installed correctlt and OK, The Dryer need troubleshooting and thermals are a primary problem.
    Do you know anyone that can effectively use a meter?

Oct 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
    I have had 2 repairmen, 2 electrician's and a friend check all of the power at the plug(hots, neutral and ground). etc. The repairmen claim it's the electrical and the electrician's claim it's not electrical. They all just charge for checking. So I am not going to put anymore money in that. (except the dryer is under warranty and they did not charge for the first visit) Instead I am getting an estimate to replace the wiring in my house. So I will have replaced in the last 2 months, the dryer, the receptacle, the cord and all new wiring. After that I am packing my bags and leaving this house (even though I don't want to)

Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 04:10 PM
    Do you live in South Florida?

Oct 18, 2011, 04:15 PM
    No, but I might move there if the new wiring doesn't work and I have no dryer. I can just hang all my clothes in the sun! Lol
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2011, 04:31 PM
    Please answer my first question. Did the dryer ever run? With the dryer plugged in, the door fully closed, you push the start button, What happens? What kind of receptacle is on the wall, 3 or 4 prong? Was it changed and a new cord installed? If someone has measured the voltage at the connections on the back of the dryer and it shows 120 & 240VAC, then something is wrong with the dryer. This is not a straight 240 Volt appliance, you also need 120 Volts.

Oct 19, 2011, 04:56 AM
    The dryer ran for 2 months after I bought it. A repairman and an electrician checked and got 240v at the back of the receptacle. The repairman was supposed to change out the cord (only 2 months old and 2 people checked and said cord was ok) and replace the receptacle (again, it was replaced in Feb 2011) but the repairman never showed up. I have already paid him since it is under warranty. It's a 3 prong. The door is closed, etc. since I am not the only one who has tried to start the dryer (the repairman could not start it) but the repairman pronounced it functioning and now I have to pay if I want them to check it again. That is why I am going with all new wiring before I try to buy another dryer. This is going to be in the thousands by the time I am done but I am going to try to file a complaint against Lowe's. In the meantime I have injuries and getting out to a laundromat is too difficult.
    Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2011, 05:05 AM
    It is normal for the "cord" I will assume the dryer either had one or you had to buy the cord to match the outlet in your home. But the outlet and the cord are seldom part of the warranty. The question is, not power to the outlet (ok part of the question) but the first question is there power to the back of the dryer, where the cord hooks to the dryer.

You need to move it up a step. Call and make an appointment to see the General manager of Lowe's, not the store manager but his boss.

You need to start putting this in writing, and sending the store, the warranty repair company ( they are most likely not connected to Lowe's at all) letters demanding this be fixed under the manufactor warranty. ** often the warranty only covers parts, not labor, so be ready to pay labor charges.

One of the issues I have found with buying large items at big "box" type stores, they do not do their own service, and only honor the manufactor warranty. Most of your smaller stores that sell and service their own go further.

So you are saying that he came out, the dryer never turned on and he said the dryer was OK ?

Oct 19, 2011, 05:27 AM
    Yes, the repairman came out checked my power and said there was nothing wrong with the dryer. He said he was not supposed to change receptacles, etc. but he would come back do install a new one. But he never showed up. You are right I should start documenting everything I have just been so upset by this all and want it fixed. The only thing that makes me think it is not an electrical problem is that the same thing happened to my 7 year old dryer. The repairman said it was electrical, the electrician said it was the dryer, that is why I replaced a 7 year old dryer, otherwise I would have just had that problem fixed. But no one could fix it so I replaced it. When I replaced the 7 year old dryer (with the one that is now 2 months old) it worked for 2 months so I thought "good it was the dryer and end of story" but I was wrong.

Oct 19, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Yes, the dryer never turned on and he said it was functioning. Lowe's (MC Appl Repair) is supposed to come out today between 8am-12. You are right I need to start documenting all of this. The same thing happened to my old 7 year old dryer, it stopped heating, repairman said it was not the dryer. Electrician said all was OK with the wires, etc. that is why I replaced the dryer since no one could fix it. Yes, I have learned my lesson, no more Lowe's and no more Sears.
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2011, 09:22 AM
    The reason I help people on this site is because of crap repair people.
    I don't charge If I can't troubleshoot the problem.
    I can only think of an intermittant wiring problem under Load.

Oct 19, 2011, 09:36 AM
    And I appreciate your help because I a sure not getting any answers from the repairman, electrician, etc. I am on hold with Lowe's. This is the second appt they have stood me up. So I am rescheduling for the third time.

Oct 19, 2011, 01:03 PM
    Update:

I'm so glad you guys are here. It helps to write about this mess and hopefully get to the bottom of the problem. (I think I am driving my friends and family crazy with the story) It gets even crazier now. The appliance repairman did show up today (after waiting 6 hours) He is nice, but busy. He replaced the receptacle and the dryer cord and took the whole dryer apart to check for damaged, loose wires, etc. Everything was in order and the dryer worked! (short lived). After he put it back together it did not work so now he thinks it's a bad timer on the dryer. He has to order the part and he will come back next Monday. In the meantime I called the electrician and he is now thinking it is the breaker and will replace it with a 30amp tomorrow afternoon. Replacing bit by bit, it has to work eventually.

Oct 21, 2011, 05:13 AM
    So yesterday the electrician came out and replaced the circuit breaker and magic! The dryer works. But I still am not sure I should use if for now. It is making a very loud noise when you run it. I am afraid I might be damaging it further. I think when the repairman took it apart he did not put something back together right. So now I will have to waste another day of waiting for him to show up on Monday and hopefully everything is great after he fixes the loud noise problem!

Oct 25, 2011, 07:18 AM
    Sunshine807

This is just dragging on and on. Yesterday the repairman was supposed to call between 8am-12 so he can put my dryer back together and hopefully it will stop making the ratting noise. I received no call and he did not show up. When I called the Repairman's phone the girl was vague about whether he would even show up anytime. I then called Lowe's and asked for another Repair Company. The first available appt they had was Oct 31st so I took the appt but I am still not sure whether I should use my dryer with the rattling noise in the mean time. If I press against the part with the controls the noise stops but if I let go the noise comes back. At this point I am getting used to having no dryer but I have spent so much money on this problem to still end up with an iffy dryer and repairmen (that I already paid for in the warranty) that do not show up. I will never buy anything from Lowe's again, they just don't stand behind their products or their repair service. Maybe one day I can stop whining about this problem.

drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Why would you replace perfectly good wiring? You are throwing away your money. I would imagine you have a bad thermal safety blown from a blocked exhaust vent or a bad start switch. If it is a bad thermal caused by a blocked vent it would not be covered under warranty. DrTom4444

Oct 26, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Why would you replace perfectly good wiring? You are throwing away your money. I would imagine you have a bad thermal safety blown from a blocked exhaust vent or a bad start switch. If it is a bad thermal caused by a blocked vent it would not be covered under warranty. DrTom4444

Answer:
    I was considering that when everything else had been replaced and still not working. So at least for now replacing the circuit breaker, receptacle and the cord seem to have fix the problem. So my dryer runs but since the repairman took it apart and did not put it back together correctly it has a loud rattling noise when it runs. I scheduled repair but the repairman did not show. I scheduled repair with another company and they told me I have to stay home for the 8 hour window and wait for the repairman since they do not provide courtesy calls. So I filed complaints with Lowe's and BBB. I am scheduled to get a new dryer tomorrow since that will be the quicker solution rather than waiting for weeks for a repairman to show up. My 1st choice was a refund, but 2nd choice of the dryer being replaced sounds OK too. I am hoping everything is working well together after all of this but the only thing not replaced was the wiring so that would have to be the problem if it stops working again.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Many of these "Repairman?" are why many of us are here.
    Sure wish you lived here in South Florida. I do work anywhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix sqeaky dryer [ 0 Answers ]

How to fix a sqeaky dryer that works fine

How can I fix our squeaking dryer? [ 0 Answers ]

Our aged yet functional dryer has begun making an intermittent, warbling, very loud squeaking. It's a White-Westinghouse DG250GJ. Can you tell me how I can repair it?

How to fix a squeaky GE dryer? [ 1 Answers ]

My dryer squeaks real bad, the model # is BJLR473ETOWW AND THE SERIAL # IS H3203175T, WHAT SHOULD I DO TO FIX IT?

How to fix my maytag dryer? [ 1 Answers ]

How to fix my squeaky maytag dryer?

Landlord won't fix dryer, what should I do? [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved in to a house with two other roommates, and all three of us are on the lease. Recently, the dryer sprouted a gas leak. We called the gas company, they identified the source and shut off the gas to the dryer. We called the landlord and she told us, in so many words, that she...

View more questions Search