Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mellyn11 Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Feb 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Mental stability and abortion
    Two years ago I had the worst summer of my life. My father died of cancer, and then shortly after, I found out that I was pregnant and had an abortion. At the time, I was so numb to the pain I was feeling. All I knew was that my father was dead, and that I was in no position to raise a child. To be honest, I'm not even sure that I have yet to allow myself to feel the full extent. My question is this:
    How do I know where I stand in my grieving process? I can't tell if I'm healed, haven't even begun the process, or maybe I just don't have the mental capacity to full comprehend the things that I've been through. It's just so confusing, and all I keep asking myself is, "what can a therapist truly do for me, when I have no idea what I'm truly feeling?":confused:
    Within the next couple of years I will hopefully be getting engaged to the man of my dreams, and I have no desire to bring my demons into our marriage. I don't even know exactly what I'm asking here...
    SingleMom7105 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking exactly but if I were you I'd let the man know what happened. If you don't it can cause problems later on in you married life. You will probably feel the most of it once you are pregnant with your child from your husband. You will start thinking about the baby you never had. Your husband needs to know. He will be able to help you through it better if he knows now and not when you are pregnant.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    A therapist can help you figure out what you're feeling. That's what they're trained to do!

You need to talk to see a counselor.

I'll keep you in my thoughts... you probably have some serious grieving to do yet.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 6, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Therapists are trained much more than you are accounting for. If you feel stuck in this, I would be the first to encourage you to honor your feeling about this-- you probably are stuck. That's not good and warrants seeking out the help of a counselor. There is no shame in seeking that kind of help - I have done it off and on my entire adult life.
    KaishaJayne Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 11:22 AM
    You can't really tally where you are in the grieving process, I don't think anyone can. But I do know this, when someone dies you go into shock, you don't realise they're gone etc, so it doesn't really sink in for a while. When it does some people can feel angry at them for going, at the hospital or whatever, or angry at themselves... or the world. Some people might even make rash decisions, or constantly cry. I don't know if I'm touching on anything you're feeling? The grieving process however, can be different for everyone. In my experience, the end of full blown grieving ended when I felt a weight gone off my shoulders one morning after I had been crying constantly. I had my energy back and everything, so that's how I knew I could carry on. Have you felt like that? I'm sorry for your loss though. I'm not a therapist or anything, but maybe that might be a good step to take. Even if you don't know how you're feeling, I'm sure they will know by little things you say. Good luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abortion? [ 54 Answers ]

I haven't told anyone about this... if I had a baby now id would be so unhappy. I don't have the money or the time kto put into it... same with my boyfriend... we are not married yet, we are taking things one step at a time, if we had a baby it would screw up our plans. You know? Well if I turn...

Abortion [ 33 Answers ]

I know my views... what are yours?

Abortion [ 1 Answers ]

Abortion I have a an abortion on the 29th of sept. I was fine after the abortion I had little to no bleeding.. on the days following the surgery . Now 9 week after the procedure I still have not had my period. I am having cramps which I thought where periods but still no periods. I am not...

Stability or passion did I choose wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello my name is marisa and in about a month and a half is our one year anniversary I rushed into my marriage we dated for two weeks and then eloped he I suspect used me as an excuse to run away from his past as well as I did my first love was unstable but I truly loved him and he felt the same way...

Gasoline Stability [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Ford F-150 P/U that is only driven when we need a truck for something. It has dual tanks and I usually fill them both, empty them both, and fill both again. Probably only fill them up about five times a year. I recently read that gasoline goes stale over time. Does anyone know the life of...

View more questions Search