Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sswethington Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
    Unmarried parental rights with father wanting to move the child out of state?
    How about if that is switched? The child was born in Indiana. Both parents are on the birth certificate and went to live with the mother's brother in Texas. After being there a year, the father wants to bring the child back to Indiana. The child (who is only 7) also wants to come back to Indiana. Does that father need to file something in Texas to be able to bring the child back? Or would he need to file something in Indiana?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 01:25 PM
    What courts decided on the move?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sswethington View Post
    How about if that is switched? The child was born in Indiana. Both parents are on the birth certificate and went to live with the mother's brother in Texas. After being there a year, the father wants to bring the child back to Indiana. The child (who is only 7) also wants to come back to Indiana. Does that father need to file something in Texas to be able to bring the child back? Or would he need to file something in Indiana?
    The parents live together, and with the child, in Texs?

Now the father wants to take the child away, leave the mother, and move to Indiana?

Assuming there is no custody order in place (or case pending), the father can do that. But since Texas is not the child's "home state", the mother would be able to file in Texas for custody at any time within the six months after the child is removed from there. Conversely, the father won't be able to file in Indiana until that six month period is over.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
    I gather that there was never any court orders for custody. Given that, the father has equal custody and can move. But as AK said, if the mother files for custody in TX before the father can establish residence in IN then the child can be brought back to TX.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unmarried Mother wants to move out of State, Father not on because [ 1 Answers ]

Asking a question for a family member. Currently, she and child's father have been living together for 6 years and have a 5 year old daughter. He isn't on the birth certificate, but has been in the home since her birth. In the total time of the child's life he has failed to hold a job for longer...

In the state of TN I need info on course of action and rights of unmarried father [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know what rights to dr visits and so forth I have before the child is born. I also need to know what I need to do legelly to ensure is have parental rights once the child is born.

Unmarried mother in Indiana wanting to move out of state [ 21 Answers ]

I have never been married and I live in Indiana. My baby's father is in jail and does not see him or pay child support at this time. My current boyfriend is in the Army and is stationed in New York and I want to move there to be with him. Will I be able to move out of state with my son?

Unmarried Mother Rights to move out of State [ 13 Answers ]

I am a California Resident and have a 14 month old son who was born and is being raised with me in California. I currently live with my boyfriend who is also the father of my son. The relationship is not a good place for me and I have been very unhappy for over a year. I pay for half of our rent,...

View more questions Search