Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colintre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2004, 11:36 AM
    Understanding maximum wattage
    I have two floodlight fixtures on a single switched circuit. Each fixture has a pair of 150 watt bulbs for 300 watts per fixture or 600 watts on the circuit. I want to replace one of the fixtures with a fixture that has a motion detector as is commonly sold in hardware stores. Like the fixture it is replacing, the new fixture has two bulb sockets. The specs for this new fixture say "Lamp holder wattage up to 150 watts each, Total lighting wattage up to 300 watts".

My question: Does the 300 watt maximum apply only to the combined wattage of the two sockets on the new fixture or do I have to include the wattage of the bulbs on the other fixture on the same switched circuit?
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Oct 20, 2004, 03:01 PM
    The specs 150W per socket is what it says, one socket cannot have more than 150W - probably due to heat considerations. It doesn't say anything about the motion detector however.
    If the motion detector is an inherent part of the fixture, then it probably is designed for only 300W too, but you may have got different specs for it if it is a separate assembly. Or maybe something is written on a label attached to it.
    If nothing indicates that you may connect more than 300W to it, then don't do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum load on 20 amp circuit breaker [ 14 Answers ]

I am aware of certain normal maximums. I guess I'm looking for somebody to tell me that I'm pushing things too far, or not. I want to hook up a portable air conditioner (Sunpentown WA-1220E) which is rated at 950 watts (and, mysteriously, at 9.0 amps) along with an HP 4Si printer, which is rated...

What to set my thermostat temperature for maximum saving [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My thermostat's lowest temperature setting for heat is 45 degrees. (I have forced hot air with a gas furnace) When I am home, the temperature is set between 68 - 70. During the day when no one is home it is set at 45 degrees. Some people have told me that this is not good practice...

Need help understanding my Ex-Girlfriend's actions [ 7 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend left me a voicemail asking me how I was about a week ago. Then she talked to me early on Valentine's Day but her cousin was on the phone with her and the call was short like 5-10 mintues. Her cousin then called me a few days later with her on HIS phone and the call was short...

Understanding: [ 42 Answers ]

Why should people believe that all religious understanding is relative and that no one interpretation is absolute? HANK :confused:

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search