Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    backseatdriver Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Sensitive friend? Or am I a jerk?
    Hello all,

This may seem silly to some of you but the friendship I refer to below is very important to me so I'd like to handle this as diplomatically as possible but still get my point across.

I recently made a friend (around 4 months ago) we share the same interests and just get along really well. He doesn't really have anyone else here in Florida because he's only been here for a year or so and his English is limited. We generally talk to each other several times a week.

I see him every Friday, it's our time to hang out for a few minutes (we work at the same place, but I work from home) This Friday I couldn't make it on time so I let him know through text that I wouldn't be there. I received no response but that's not that unusual as he has a very busy schedule.

Later that night an old friend of mine needed some moral support and asked if I could meet her, which I did, during our conversation I received a message from him stating that he was sorry he couldn't reply earlier but he had a difficult day, to which I replied "No problem, call me later if you need to talk" (he has issues which I'm trying to help him through) It was a bit short of me relative to our usual conversations but my other friend was in the process of pouring her heart out to me, I couldn't exactly interrupt her and say "oh could you hold on a second I have to send a text message"

So I proceeded to send him a text later that evening explaining the situation and why I couldn't ask him at that time if he needed to talk, but if he did to contact me anytime and several other messages throughout the weekend without response. So at this point it seems like he is ignoring me.

I really don't feel that I did anything wrong but maybe the fact that I couldn't hang out with him on Friday supplemented by my short message upset him. On one hand I feel that that type of behavior is childish, especially since I have always been there for him and helped him a lot. But maybe I'm overlooking something?

I truly value this friendship but I'm not sure how to handle it, I was thinking of waiting a week and then trying to contact him and seeing what the deal is?

I know this seems ridiculous... any help is greatly appreciated... I don't want to lose my friend but I feel like I'm being punished when I don't deserve it.

Thank you!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
    Is it possible he found other things to occupy his time with?

If you have not talked to him, why would you think he is punishing you?

Could you be presuming without facts??
    backseatdriver Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
    Nah, I'm assuming based on our usual repertoire,

I just talked to him actually he said he was upset but realized that he was being silly and apologized. I'm glad everything is OK.

talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 03:59 PM
    Me too!
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
    You're tripping. That's in the past. Glad you worked it out.

There will be other times. Of course. Just be clear & don't have expectations. Or assume.

Sounds like you are enjoying getting together. Just keep that up.

Make more plans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jerk friend? [ 3 Answers ]

Help me! I'm sorry for the length that this story may be, but trust me, all information is necessary. So... lets start at the beginning of this predicament... I liked this guy a lot, and I thought he liked me back. I told him that I liked him, he said, "I don't (feel the same way), I like the...

Am I an over-sensitive jerk? [ 5 Answers ]

Before I start, this is going to be a rather long one. :confused: I've been going out with my girl (lets call her J) for almost 3 years now and I can honestly say that I love her more than anything in the whole world. She kicks my butt when I need it and I've become a better person because of...

My best friend is dating a jerk. How do I get her to break up with him? [ 3 Answers ]

This guy is a total . He doesn't care about her, niether does he defend her and basically treats her like . Yet she loves him (I don't know why). He's just in it for the physical thing. And he gives me a sly pimp-ish smile after dropping her off. How do I make my friend realise that he is atotal...

Am I a jerk or is she the jerk? [ 11 Answers ]

Help! My daughter is 19 years old. She just came home from her first year of college and we have learned that she failed most of her classes. After her first semester, she was struggling and my husband and I sat her down and calmly discussed options for her. She promised that she would do well......

View more questions Search