Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r8erfreak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Rust on soil stack
    I've been seeing rust nodules on our soil stacks... do the these cast iron stacks need replacing?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by r8erfreak
    I've been seeing rust nodules on our soil stacks...do the these cast iron stacks need replacing?
    No! Birds got to sing, fish got to swim and cast iron's got to rust. All that means is that the tar coating's getting thin allowing surface rust to occur.
    Your cast iron will probably outlast you. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crack in Cast Iron Main soil stack [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I just moved into a Bi-level house approx. 40-50 years old. It has a Cast Iron Main soil stack (main vertical sewer line). On the lower level I noticed that it has a crack that is approx 5"-6" long about 1/4" thick. Now I bought a new pluming book because of some other repairs I had...

Cast iron soil stack to pvc [ 15 Answers ]

the plumbing in our house is from 1936. We noticed a large stain in the ceiling, tore it out to reveal the cast iron soil stack (runs from the upstairs bathroom turns a corner then runs straight to the basement) and found the leak was around (very bad leak) the lead joint. My husband finally got...

Soil Stack Vent Pipe/Stench Pipe ( Smelly Drains ) [ 3 Answers ]

I have a downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet ,one above the other.. The soil/stench pipe connects upwards to above the Roof heaves and downward into the sewer... Coupled into the sewer also is a Gully trap drain to take sink and bath / shower wastes and from time to time , from that drain gully...

Crack in soil stack [ 4 Answers ]

The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had...

View more questions Search