Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chan8038 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 11:49 PM
    Computer keeps on restarting!
    Hi, I recently updated my computer with a new graphic card and power supply of 500 watts. I downloaded a couple of games online, but could only play for 5 minutes and my computer restarted itself. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention while playing the game. I smell something burnt. I think it's coming from the power supply. I have no clue what to do from here and don't know what is causing this, but I do know for sure it's not the game. People been telling me to buy a new graphic card or power supply. However, I need to know what is causing this. Can you tell me what I should do? I'm willing to buy a new power supply but not a new graphic card. Please help?
    Orca2040 Posts: 12, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Well can you supply a bit more specs?
    Graphic card model?
    Processor with clocking speed and whether it's over clocked or not?
    Motherboard model?
    Cause by how you describes it, sounds like your new graphic card isn't getting enough power so when you stress it with a game the entire computer doesn't get enough power. I suggest buying a 700 watt power supply for gaming as games can stress computers. Also make sure to clean your computer from and possible dust. When cleaning the fans (if using an air pump) stick something so the fans don't spin and accidentally burn out the motor. If you're over clicking and smell something I suggest you go back to your normal clock speed as it could be your CPU heating up past what your fan supports.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2011, 05:12 AM
    Are you certain it's a burning smell and not just the smell of new electronics? Some smells are normal with new electronics.

As mentioned we need to know more about the rest of the hardware in your computer. Give us makes and models. Also, which video card did you get? Most video cards also require that you plug a power cord into it from the power supply.

And if you already purchased them new, I wouldn't spend the money again for replacements if one or both are defective. You should either return them to the retailer or the manufacturer.

Finally, make sure that all fans spin when your computer starts up. Make sure that you are running the latest drivers for your new video card and that you completely remove the previous drivers. If you have embedded graphics on your motherboard, disable it through the bios.
    MUHAIMEN Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2011, 03:51 AM
    If you smell something burnt, I suggest you to check your power supply inside fan. If the fan is working then I suggest you to check visually the fan of your CPU even it is spinning, sometimes it loss the fan and when you try to load huge program it will automatically restarting. I experienced that before and I hope this post can help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just built my first computer and keeps restarting! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. First off, it tells me "cpu fan error, hit f1 to resume" I know the fans' not the problem, but after I hit f1 it says "press any key to boot from cd or dvd" and it restarts from there. Im trying to install windows 7 and I don't know what's going on. I have no manuals, a friend of a friend...

Computer keeps restarting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I have spent hours searching through forums for an answer, but nothing has helped so far, not even the other thread in this forum. I have a windows XP home SP2 seagate HD, from an older PC, with everything including windows still on it. Now that the HD of the newer PC, also XP home,...

Computer keeps restarting during start-up? [ 5 Answers ]

I turned my Computer on one day, and then two seconds later it restarted itself, then 3 seconds later it would restart itself, and went a little further each restart until it got to the log in screen, then it would be okay from there ever since then (which was like 1 1/2 months ago). I thought I...

Computer continually restarting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm trying to build a computer out of some spare parts for my brother, When I start the computer up it goes through post and then starts to load windows but before it shows the windows XP graphic it resets (it does this forever until you turn it off_). The MOBO has an integrated graphics card on...

Computer will not boot up and keeps restarting itself [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all. I'm new here and have encountered a really unfortunately problem with my hp laptop. This morning I was running a dj program and just letting it play music. I've done it countless times in thepast and has given me no problems, until today that is. It crashed. I easily noticed it...

View more questions Search