Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ltbulb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:45 PM
    15 or 30 year mortgage
    Which is the best mortgage to get if I don't intend to stay longer than 5 years? 15, 20, 25, or 30. Goal is to minimize interest and pay down principal as fast as possible while being able to pay other bills? What is the most popular mortgage and why? Thank you.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2007, 08:10 PM
    The best for you is to have a 15 year mortgage, you build equity faster and if you sell in five years is is a selling point to have a mortgage with only ten years left on it, if they assume your mortgage. Plus it is nice to paay off the house before you get to be sixty years of age. I have done two this way and still young enough to enjoy life.
    Bobak Posts: 12, Reputation: -1

Feb 11, 2007, 11:40 PM
    it depends on what your long term goal is. Are you looking to sell the place after 5 years or are you going to refinance again?
    If you are looking to sell the place, you shouldn't worry about paying down your loan at all. Your home will gain tens of thousands of dollars in equity it these next five years, but you will only pay it down a few thousand dollars if you get a good interest rate and make extra payments.
    If you are looking to refinance, then either take out an interest only option or a deferred interset option and invest the rest of the money for these 5 years in an account that can earn you 10-12% interest. At the end of the 5 years, you can take that money out and pay down your loan if you want, or u can put it to better use like re-invest it.
    you also mentioned that you want a lower interest rate. Banks will give you a lower rate based on the type of loan and other qualifying factors. First of all, a 30 year fixed will have a higher rate than a 15 year fixed. An interest only program will have a lower interest rate than either of those, and even with this option, the rate fluctuates depending on the number of years the rate is fixed. You can get a 5 year fixed option, or you can get a 1, 2, 3, 7, etc. it's up to you. Keep in mind that just because you're not paying down your loan every month, doesn't mean that you can't pay one big lump sum at any time you choose.
    speak with a professional that can explain it to you in person or over the phone, or email me if you have any further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A pregnant 16 year old by a 14 year old [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old girl who is prenant by a 14 year old boy. Can she or he get introuble in the state of MO by law. I'am I doing right by Not letting she see him or talk to him... What should I do... They Say they love each other all the time... Love Buddy and Melani :confused

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search