Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dps_london Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:27 PM
    One Switch, 4 light fixtures
    Ok, I've read all the posts, I think this one is a good one... I have one switch, and 4 lights. Every time I flip the switch, I trip the breaker.

Here is my diagram:

--b-----sw------+-------+-------+-------+
    ---------------------------------------------Ground
    --w------------- - ------ - ------- - ------ -

I've used all new wiring, and was careful not to splice, or tear any of the sheathing along the circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Thommycal Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dps_london
    Ok, I've read all the posts, I think this one is a good one.... I have one switch, and 4 lights. Everytime I flip the switch, I trip the breaker.

Here is my diagram:

--b-----sw------+-------+-------+-------+
    ---------------------------------------------Ground
    --w------------- - ------ - ------- - ------ -

I've used all new wiring, and was careful not to splice, or tear any of the sheathing along the circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Somewhere you have the hot line crossing to nuetral or to ground. Check/replace switch and check every fixture. If you know how to use it, gete a VOM. We are assuming your fixtures and other things on the circuit are not over the breaker amp limit.
    KCDave Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Feb 5, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Did you open each fixture and switch box to make sure the wiring is still in tact?

Staple through the cable?

Isolate the short by unwiring each light one at a time starting with the furthest fixture. Wire nut the ends and check the circuit between.
    Port_Ludlow_Bob Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Here is a wiring diagram for what you want. Hope it helps.

http://2wayswitch.com/one-gang-switch-for-multiple-lights/
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 29, 2011, 12:00 PM
    HI again, Port-Ludlow_Bob...

Again, note the date of this thread... from 2007... ;)

Check the dates before posting. In that way you can be sure your efforts are used and appreciated!

Thanks...

Mark
    Port_Ludlow_Bob Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Thanks Mark, I guess it is a rooky mistake. So know anything about beam sizes? Working on my shop for a loft need to span 30 ft.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light switch hot then light went off [ 1 Answers ]

We have a standard ugly fluorescent overhead fixture in the kitchen. This morning the light just went off. I went to see if the bulb had burned out and the light switch itself was hot. What could cause this? I had not noticed the switch ever getting hot before. It wasn't really super hot but...

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off [ 4 Answers ]

One Switch two lights - the second light furthest away from light won't turn off but the first one does Worked until I swopped the roses. Suspect that didn't do something right when putting them back. Up to now - left bulb out but need to get it to work now.

Light switch won't control light [ 2 Answers ]

I took down a ceiling fan and connected a new chandelier. Very basic white from light to white in ceiling, black from light to black from ceiling, ground to ground. There is also a pink wire from ceiling that I just capped. When I turned the fuse back on the light came on but the wall switches...

Replacing landscape light fixtures.. [ 6 Answers ]

We have a landscape lighting (that goes the length of our walkway on both sides) that was installed when the house was built, and that was 14 years ago. The light fixtures are getting chipped and moldy and I want to replace it for a much up to date ones. Is it possible to change just the fixtures...

220v european wall light fixtures [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to use an exterior wall light fixture bought in the US for 110v light bulb, in Europe. I was told the existing wiring is rated to take 220v and the light bulb socket is rated for 250v. Can I use this fixture in europe or should I change the light socket and wires with what is used...

View more questions Search