Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lamorak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
    Cannot See external hard drive
    Hello,

I have a maxtor hard drive that used to be my main hard drive in my XP PC but now is in an external case attached to my 64bit Windows 7 laptop. I have the jumper set to slave on the external but it doesn't appear under 'my computer'. It does appear under 'disk management' but it doesn't have a letter associated with it and when I right-click it, all the option except 'partition' are greyed out. Also, when I do this on an XP computer I get the same results. I'd really like to get data off it before partitioning it, so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
    GrantHillsSA Posts: 405, Reputation: 9

Oct 28, 2011, 05:10 PM
    I suspect the external casing. I once inserted my hard drive into a working casing. When I connected the usb cable, it kept on wanting to format... When I placed the hard drive back it worked perfectly.

I would just backup the contents of that hard drive and format it...

Hope this helps
    Grant Hills
    South Africa

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've moved the contents of my C: drive to my external hard drive. No OS found. [ 1 Answers ]

I was having some problems with my cpu usage so a friend told me to empty out my c: drive onto an external hdd. I did and it worked. But an hour later it shut down and when I tried to start it up it said no OS found. Is there any way to get it working again? I don't have a windows 7 CD to...

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Guys I need your help I recently bought a 320 GB External hard drive, I plugged it into my computer and check the capacity of the hard drive it is telling me that the hard drive capacity is 298 GB, where is the other 22 GB gone? Looking forward for your reply

External hard drive [ 3 Answers ]

I needed to back up some files right away and my friend used her portable hard drive to do it for me. Can I transfer them safely from her portable hard drive onto one I buy and if I can do that will that delete them from her hard drive unit?

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search