Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheCardinal Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Can I evict tenants who violate lease by smoking?
    Our tenants are violating the terms of the lease by smoking in their apartment. The lease states no smoking anywhere in the house, smoking is allowed outside behind the house only. Nearly every night there is a strong odor of cigarette smoke in the enclosed backporch outside our backdoor (we live upstairs, tenants rent downstairs back apartment). We own an older home, not airtight, so the smoke odor gets into our part of the house, kitchen, bedrooms, etc. With two small children, that ain't cool. We've issued a written warning reminding them of the lease terms, it didn't change anything. Their lease expires on June 30, but I want to end it sooner if possible. What type of 'proof' do I need before getting them out? Should I video record the designated smoking area to demonstrate that they are not outside smoking during the times when I can smell smoke? Thoughts? Ideas?
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 07:08 PM
    I understand your dilemma. Are you sure they understand that you consider the enclosed backporch as being the interior of the house? This is going to be difficult to prove. If it were some other non-compliance issue I would recommend that you post a 30 day eviction notice. NOT a 3 day. A 30 day eviction notice gives the tenant 30 days to correct the problem. If it isn't corrected, then issue a 3 day and eventually take them to court.

Actually this is a learning lesson for next time. Asking a prospective tenant "Do you smoke?" or writing in the ad "No smokers" gives the prospective tenant an opportunity to lie and say no. If your application said "How many people in your household smoke?" They would write the number of people that smoke and you would have the opportunity to tell them you do not allow smokers and choose not to rent to them.
    TheCardinal Posts: 5, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 07:37 PM
    [QUOTE=landlord advocate]I understand your dilemma. Are you sure they understand that you consider the enclosed backporch as being the interior of the house?[QUOTE]

Here's the wording in the lease:

NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN APARTMENT, ON BACK PORCH, IN DOORWAYS, OR IN SIDE YARD.

SMOKING ALLOWED ONLY IN AREA DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF, OR BEHIND, THE HOUSE.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2007, 07:51 PM
    You can try giving them the 30 day notice. After 30 days, gather witnesses that can attest to the fact that they were smoking on the porch, give them a 3 day notice and file. All this is going to take time. Are you sure you can't just not re-rent to them when the lease comes up for renewal? If they are people who take care of the property and pay their rent on time, think about solving this problem without the eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Will I violate probation? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to see my p.o. I am going to give him a dirty test, it's my first time on probation and in trouble (GM) (embezzlement.) it's not just thc dirty either. What might I expect?

How to evict someone? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just go a new tenet in my rental home. We gave her the key @ the end of October even though she still owed us $250.00 for the required deposit. She eventually got it to us. Now the rent for December was due 12-03-2006. But we haven't heard a word. I sent a letter reminding her of the...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Non paying tenants with no lease [ 5 Answers ]

We have a tenant that hasn't paid rent since July. We used his security for August and half of September. In July we asked him to leave because we needed the apartment for our own needs. He has always been late month after month leaving us notes telling us why he will be late. We have been nice...

View more questions Search