Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mysorrow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Proper wedding gift for my son?
    My son is getting married, he lives in Orlando and his fiancée wants to get married in California, I had to lay out $1,700 for hotel and airfare.What am I expected to give for a wedding gift? I wanted to give cash, but I don't know how much, since in February my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, and I have MS. It's been a really hard road since then, but my son has always been there for me, and I don't know what to give as a monetary gift. Could you please give me some advice?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 14, 2011, 08:42 PM
    Etiquette says that you have a year to give a gift, but really, etiquette is just good manners and doing what won't hurt or embarrass others, right? What I would do is send them a card with a little note inside, saying that your attendance will be the first gift because of bills, that you will give them a gift a few months from now, that you both need to see what his dad's health is going to be like, and that you would like to see what others have given them and what they need. Ordinarily that is no one's business, but this is your son. (If they don't see this anyway, my goodness!)

I happen to be someone who thinks money is a terrible gift except for teenagers. There is never a memory associated with an object, no thought goes into it, there is nothing personal about it. I don't care how broke the young couple is - they shouldn't be getting married if they are expecting money to get them started. And besides, you may be more broke than they are at the moment. Your presence is what should matter to them.

What would I spend when you can? Perhaps $300. On something nice and long lasting, and something that's from a good idea of what they need and want but isn't just practical, like a dishwasher. More like a small handmade rug, or a set of good stainless, or dishes.
    mysorrow Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 10:31 PM
    Thank you so much your advice was worth more than you can imagine and so properly said, thank you again
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 15, 2011, 03:38 AM
    You're welcome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Gift for destination wedding and the couple is also having a reception 1 gift or 2? [ 2 Answers ]

I am attending a destination wedding, Aruba and the couple is also having a reception once they get back in New York. I am attending both. 1) Do I bring the gift with me to Aruba? 2) Do I bring it to the reception? 3) Do I get them a gift for both?

Proper gift for muslim friend going on a journey? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a casual friend who is going on a trip from the U.S.to Bangladesh to see his family. What would be an appropriate gift to a muslim from a non-muslim in this circumstance? He will be returning after 3- months. I don't want to give him something that will make him feel obligated to give me...

Proper $ for a weding gift [ 7 Answers ]

What is the proper amount to give as a wedding gift?

What is proper wear for a 4pm wedding. [ 3 Answers ]

My husband got an invitation from a cousin in California who is getting Married in September. The wedding is to be a 4pm wedding outdoors with an outdoor reception to follow. The only suggestion about attire was that ladies wear flats and not heals as the ground is fairly soft. What would be...

Proper wedding dress [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have been invited to a wedding that will be at 7:00 p.m. and reception/dinner after. Question: Please advise the proper dress for an evening wedding.

View more questions Search