Ask
    kkkhokhar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 11:00 AM
    $70000 is tax able if wire to us account from india property sold money
    The money is coming from house sold in india
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 09:17 AM
    If you are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident for tax purposes, it makes no difference HOW you receive the money. The gain on the sale of the house in India IS subject to U.S. income taxes, because U.S. citizens and U.S. resident are subject to income tax on ALL world-wide income.

You would report the sale on Schedule D, and pay taxes at capital gains rates (either 5% or 15%) on the PROFIT made on the sale.

MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 11:51 PM
    If you paid taxes in India, you can claim foreign tax credit by filing Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on sold property abroad [ 11 Answers ]

I live in US and my parents live abroad. Being the only son, I will inherit their home after they pass away. When this will happen I intend to sell it. How will I be taxed on this? Is there a way to minimize the tax I have to pay? Thank you, Cuptor

Tax calculation on large amount of money sent from India as wire transfer. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new immigrant into the US. I currently own some property in India (where I originally belong to) which when sold would accumulate a net worth of USD150,000. I plan on using this amount to purchase a house in USA for my own residence. Also, my father wants to send me USD 300,000 as...

Tax on inherited property sold overseas [ 2 Answers ]

My parents (non-US citizens) lived overseas and have passed away. On the death of my mother, I inherited their apartment and have recently sold it and intend transferring the proceeds to the US. I am a US citizen, 72 years old, reside in the US and file joint tax returns with my wife. Question:...

Do I pay tax on inherited property sold? [ 7 Answers ]

My brothers and I (4 of us) each inherited equal portions of my mother's house when she died. We sold the house shortly after the estate was settled and each of us received ~ 18,000 (there was no mortgage). Now, I am aware that any gain is taxed as long term no matter how long we owned it, since it...

View more questions Search