Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bailey1056 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 07:31 AM
    Itchy Red Ears in Dogs?
    'What home remedies can I use for my lab, she has itchy red ears ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 08:40 AM
    Read this Dogs and Itchy Ears: Scratching and Other Symptoms on MedicineNet Home remedies are not always effective enough for some cases so don't let this get too bad before seeking a vets help.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Excellent link Ballenger, that explains the causes very well.

When my dogs ears get itchy/red I usually start by just keeping them very clean.
    If you have a breed that is prone to hair growing in the ear canal, trim it away so the ear doesn't get too hot and remove any wax build up. Dark wax is usually a sign of infection.
    Use a clean cotton ball to just wipe out the ears several times a day (don't go too deep in the canal).

If there is no improvement within a few days (less redness/wax) then it's off to the vet for some swabs. If it's a simple infection cleaning and allowing the ear to 'air out' usually helps, but if it is mites or allergies then other treatment will be needed.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Oct 15, 2011, 07:26 PM
    Labs love the water. If she has access to water, she will probably be in it each chance she gets, which creates the likelihood of an "ear-itation" from fungal or bacterial infections, or other water-borne problems. Consider this as a problem if you can rule out other causes such as, but not limited to, below.

Hay Fever type allergies affect a dog's skin, not the respiratory system like people. Itchy ears and feet are quite often the first signs of having developed an allergy. And itchy skin is almost always pinker than normal. If you find no dirt, etc in the ears, consider an allergy. Benadryl will work, often... but it is not diagnostic, just anti itch. There are better diagnostic tests, but that calls for a vet visit.

Ear mites is a very common cause of ear itching... dog or cat. They are not hard to kill, but the problem is... they are also not hard to catch again. If you were to have multiple pets, the others should also have them (just a thought) USUALLY, but not always, there will also be a dark brown, oily, waxy film, or even pieces of debris to be seen on a Q-tip inserted into the ear just past the cotton tip. Get a good grip on the dog's ear before doing this because she WILL try to shake her head. If you look CLOSELY at the brown stuff, you may just see small, white, tick shaped mites moving. A magnifying glass does help older eyes that don't focus that close. Removing them is the subject for another question. No sense wasting your time making you read a suggestion how to do it.

Infections usually produce a mildly smelling clear to cream colored discharge, also picked up on a Q-tip. These are usually limited to one ear, as are foreign objects, so not likely your problem.

As always, we are at a distinct disadvantage, compared to your vet... we can't see or touch your pet. This is a serious handicap, so seeing your vet is the best suggestion we can make, especially if it appears to be a serious problem.
    nicole_01_07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
    My female dog just had three puppies about 4 weeks ago and she had a itchy red,dirty,hair loss on one ear! What is this and will the puppies catch this from their mother! I would hate t get rid of my dog and I have two kids so I don't need them to get sick from my dog if that can even happen! Please help me.
    Thanks Nicole.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2011, 10:34 PM
    Nicole.. Most infections that animals get, typically don't spread disease to humans. There are a few diseases that do, but they are not very common... So spare me the "I need to get rid of my dog because of my kids" story.

She could have mites or ear ticks in that one specific ear. It could spread to the puppies. You need to take her in.. Its abou time that you take your pups in as well for an exam. At that time, you can also set up an appointment to get your female spayed :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog with red itchy ears, shaking head [ 4 Answers ]

Over the past 6 weeks, my 3 yr old toy poodle (6lbs) has had itchy ears on and off. It started with both of my poodles on the same day. They both had very itchy ears, and kept us up all night scratching. 3 days later, I took the female to the vet to have hers looked in, and they said they only...

Itchy Ears [ 5 Answers ]

My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?

Itchy ears [ 2 Answers ]

My little Chu.Dog has itchy ears and nothing seems to help

Red itchy ears but not ear mites [ 4 Answers ]

I have a red bone coon/ grey hound pup. I have taken her to the vet and got medicine but it did not help at all. My pup has a left red itchy ear but it is not ear mites. He gave me a medicine for yeast and infection but it is not working. Has any one ever had this problem? Please help before I...

View more questions Search