Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcannone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 06:01 AM
    Taxes for an employee working in the US on a L-1A Visa
    If an employee is coming into the US on a L-1A Visa, what taxes are the employee and employer liable for and what are they exempt from paying?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 10:24 AM
    If the income is U.S.-sourced, he and the employer are liable for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes, plus federal and state income tax.

If the L-1A employee's income is FOREIGN-sourced, and he stays for LESS than 183 days in 2011, then he is EXEMPT from all U.S. taxes in 2011, provided he leaves before the 183rd day.

If he stays beyond the 183rd day, he becomes liable for federal and state INCOME taxes for 2011 on the foreign-sourced income. The FICA tax begins on 1 January 2012.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
    L1 is work visa so you will pay all the taxes just like citizens and residents of U.S. If your stay exceeds 183 days, you will also report your worldwide income during the period you are in U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filipino with working visa has been to Greece, can re apply for schengen visa? [ 0 Answers ]

I am a filipino, working in china, guangzhou since 2006, the same company and holding a valid working visa. I have been to Greece 2010 and I want to re apply for a tourist visa again to Greece for August 2011 summer holiday here in Guangzhou. I was also granted a tourist visa to Seoul for a month...

Once employee submit the r1 visa cancel? How many days cancle visa [ 1 Answers ]

Once employee submit the r1 visa cancel? How many days take cancletion time

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

US employee working in Italy [ 1 Answers ]

I am an American with residency in Italy(am here more than 300 days /year) working for a US company based in California, running a study abroad program for US universities. I pay Medicare and Social Security taxes in the US but am exempt for Federal taxes(which I have withheld) and then get back at...

View more questions Search