Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jukis666 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 05:07 AM
    Shadow calculation
    Here?s a challenge that I can't solve:
    The task is to ether to calculate the light of a shadow from a tall building (church) and it's direction (preferably azimuth in degrees) or to calculate a precise position of the tip of the shadow (GPS coordinates). The parameters are as follows:
    - The location of the building is N 57? 23.763 E 021? 34.071.
    - the high of the building is 30.5 meters;
    - the date and time when the shadow appeared is January 18, 2009 at 11:50 (UTC/GMT 2 hours).
    Can anyone help me with this task?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2011, 06:18 AM
    First what you need to determine is the position of the sun from the perspective of an observer at those coordinates at that precise time. Here's a handy site for doing that: NOAA Solar Position Calculator

From the coordinates you provided this church is in Latvia. The time zone is -2 hours GMT, not +2 hours. When I enter position latitide = 57 degrees, 23 minutes, 4 seconds north and longitude 21 degrees, 34 minutes and 4 seconds east with offset to UTC of -2 hours for the date and time you provided the site reports that the sun was at altitude = 11.38 degrees and azimuth = 167.06 degrees. Note the sun is just above the horizon - not surprising for a place that far north in winter.

Can you take it from here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shadow area calculation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to calculate the possilbe areas of shadow from buildings in a city. I have the buildings heights, sun angle and azimuth but I'm still not getting a way to come up with this possible shadow areas. Is there anyone with a way to go about this or has done this before. Would be...

Calculation shadow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need source about calculation the eclipse of LEO satellite.please help me

A shadow of a shadow person? [ 2 Answers ]

First, I'll set the scene. I'm laying down on my bed on my left side facing my window blinds. On the other side of the room was my digital clock that shined a bright light onto the blinds and it was about two or three in the morning. SO... I suddenly awoke out of a deep sleep for no apparent...

Shadow Calculation [ 13 Answers ]

Hi.. Can anyone able to give me answer for this question.. How to show the shadow of an object for(e.g.Buildings) when the position of sun and geographical position of building is known? Also say me in which direction the shadow will fall and what will be the length of the shadow? Is their...

View more questions Search