Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progtick Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2011, 01:47 AM
    Can long term capital loss offset income earned from interest?
    After selling an inherited land, if a person's basis turns out to be greater than the sale price, then his capital gain would be negative. Can this offset income earned from interest during the same year?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
    The capital loss CAN offset other income (to include interest) up to $3,000. If the loss is greater than $3,000 and there are no capital gains, the amount in excess of $3,000 is carried forward to future years, to be used in $3,000 increments until the loss amount is reduced to zero, or until the taxpayer dies, whichever comes first.

I have a client who received stocks in a divorce settlement which tanked in a major way when the .com bubble burst. Her total losses exceeded $250,000, and since she does NOT trade stocks, she writes off $3,000 every year on her return. At that rate, it will take about 70 years for her to use up the total loss.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 10:50 AM
    I would point out that unless the land that was sold was used for business (i.e. rented out) then the loss on the land can't be written off, since you can't report losses on personal property.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
    ebaines is correct; I failed to notice that the capital asset in question was personal property real estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Short term vs long term capital gains, loss carryovers [ 4 Answers ]

Back in 2000 and 2001, I had short term capital losses that exceeded the 3000 dollar limit. Each year, I've been able to deduct 3000 dollars since my short term gains have been minimal. I still haven't used up all my 2000 and 2001 short term losses. I had some long term gains in 2000, but...

Follow up on short term vs long term loss [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - I have stock that I receive every year which of course has been hammered - I want to sell just enough to take advantage of the maiximum 3000 capital loss, just to offset ordinary income, also: 1. Can the loss be used to offset ordinary income even though I'm subject to AMT ? 2. Does the...

Should I claim short term or long term loss [ 4 Answers ]

Hi - I have stock that I receive every year which of course has been hammered - I want to sell just enough to take advantage of the maiximum 3000 capital loss, just to offset ordinary income. I can sell stock I've held for a while and generate a long term loss or use stock acquired this year for...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Capital losses offset self employment income? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I have capital losses in excess of $250,000 from the sale of stocks. Now, we've started a new successful business. Are we limited to just $3000 of our losses offsetting our self employment income each year? Thanks.

View more questions Search