Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shudama Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
    Stripping paint from limestone fireplace
    I have a limestone fireplace and mantle. It has several coats of paint. Any suggestions for stripping it safely, as in no methyl chloride or similar. Know of any mechanical strippers that would work as in pin strippers?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Try some liquid cooking oil. Rub a coat on and let it sit. It should soften and swell the paint. On another site, I was asked how to remove paint from rocks without harming the moss on them. I wasn't sure, but suggested the cooking oil. It worked, the person was very happy, perhaps more complimentary over it that any of the other thousands of answers I have given on the net.

I don't know that anything short of sand blasting will remove the last traces of paint from masonry. The oil will soak into the pores of the rock. It will take repeated washing with soap and water over a period to remove it. I cringe every time I hear of somebody going to paint brick or stone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stripping paint from plaster walls... [ 2 Answers ]

I've been able to chip away most of the paint on my 1930's houses' plaster walls down to the plaster. There were two layers of paint and they came off very easily from the wall... almost like an eggshell off an egg. There was a border along the top of the wall, and the paint layers under the...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4 asking about the highest safe temputure for a fireplace,the fireplace I have is fairly thick as it sticks outside of house plus what is inside the house,the house was built in 1924had a chimney sweep look at it and he sid it was all right,thank,s

Paint fake brick fireplace? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! My house has a huge firesurround made of fake bricks - it dominates the room and the terracotta 'bricks' clash with my colour scheme. I hate it and want to paint it - can I and what paint should I use? ;)

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search