Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shleee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 10:52 AM
    Failure-to-yield ticket
    I was turning left onto a busy street with lights. 2 lanes going north and south, 2 lanes going east and west. I was heading north, and turning to go west. Just as I pulled up to the light, it turned yellow. I quickly looked to see if I had time to make the light because I was slightly in the intersection. It seemed as if I had more than enough time to get through, and the car that was heading south bound had plenty of time to stop and not run the yellow light, which couldn't have been yellow when he crossed through. I went and the person driving south hit my back end of my truck and sent my spinning into a median. I head absolutely no screeching of brakes, no tire sounds, and I can't bring myself to believe he not only ran the red light, but he also was speeding (obviously I can't prove this though). I got the ticket for failure to yield and now I have mandatory court. I've never been in an accident, and I've never had tickets. How do I fight this, or why am I even being sent to mandatory court?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
    It was the officers decision to charge you. In many locations an appearance in court is mandatory so the judge can hear all sides, now you can go to court and dispute the decision. However, you admit going through a yellow light and turning across traffic so you will need a strong defense.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2011, 07:48 AM
    I'm a liability investigator. The Police Officer very obviously believes, witnesses have stated and the accident shows that you proceeded when it was not safe. He "must" have no proof that the other driver was speeding or reckless.

You cannot - in NY - proceed through an intersection on a red or amber unless you "own" it an that involves being IN the intersection where you would block traffic. It also involves making sure all traffic is stopped before you make your turn.

It was turning yellow when you pulled up to the intersection? Then you had to stop, not proceed through, not see if you could beat the light.

It's going to be about what the evidence shows, what the witnesses said, what the Court can prove.

This is the criminal end of things, not the civil, so I won't go into all of the civil possibilities.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2011, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    It was the officers decision to charge you. In many locations an appearance in court is mandatory so the judge can hear all sides, now you can go to court and dispute the decision. However, you admit going through a yellow light and turning across traffic so you will need a strong defense.

There is no defense for entering an intersection on a yellow/amber and turning into traffic when it is not safe. Had it been safe there would not have been an accident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fighting a ticket for failure to yield? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in a center lane getting ready to make a left turn across 2 lanes into a parking lot. A van with another car behind it in left lane of oncoming traffic begins to make a U turn so I proceed tomake a left turn. The car abruptly changes lanes to go around the van and runs into me. Am I at fault...

Failure to yield ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I was involued in a car accident a little less than a month ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at work and preceded to pull out the building where there is incoming traffic. There is two lanes going west and two going east. I stopped looked to my left seen no cars. Looked to my right seen...

Unfair Failure to yield ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Last night I got a ticket for failure to yield left turn. I was making a left turn on the green and there was a cab driver in front of me... A cop car passed us from the incoming traffic and as soon as he passed me he turned his car (before making a left turn). After the cab driver...

How do I fight a failure to yield ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident this weekend and I think I'm innocent. I pulled up to a stop sign- checked traffic in both directions- saw nothing and proceeded through the intersection. Half way through, a fast moving car came into the intersection. I gassed it to get through asap but the girl...

Failure to yield. Would you fight this ticket? [ 9 Answers ]

A few days ago I was issued a ticket for Failing to Yield, which resulted in an accident. I was pulling left out of a private drive, onto a road with 2 north bound lanes, 2 south bound lanes, and a turning lane. When I approached the end of the driveway an extended bus pulled up to turn down the...

View more questions Search