Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andrearw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Internal Rate of Return
    I am trying to figure out the IRR to see if this project is acceptable or unacceptable based on the ARR that I already figured out. Per my professor he mentioned something about "guessing" I think. Based on my template I'm having trouble figuring out year 5. Please advise based on my attachment, which I'm almost done with except for year 5. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm not able to attach the file, so not sure what is the problem. Below is what I pasted from excel

Part 5 Internal Rate of Return

Excel Function method to calculate IRR
    This function REQUIRES that you have only one cash flow per period (period 0 through period 5 for our example)
    This means that no annuity figures can be used. The chart for our example can be revised as follows:

After Tax
    Item Year Amount
    Cost of machine 0 $(200,000)
    Year 1 inflow 1 $58,351
    Year 2 inflow 2 $58,351
    Year 3 inflow 3 $58,351
    Year 4 inflow 4 $58,351
    Year 5 inflow 5

The IRR function will require the range of cash flows beginning with the initial cash outflow for the investment
    and progressing through each year of the project. You also have to include an initial "guess" for the
    possible IRR. The formula is: =IRR(values,guess)

IRR Function IRR(F78.. F83, 30) 6.5%
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
    What exactly are you trying to determine? The IRR of the cash flow layout that you've presented is indeed 6.5% after a bit o' rounding. (By the way, Excel's IRR function sometimes needs a little nudge with a "guess" parameter in the arguments, but it isn't always required. Excel returned 6.4777... % for me with just =irr([array]) all on its own; the guess argument is optional. XL's help function indicates that it uses 0.10 as a default starting point if you choose not to include a guess.)

Anyway, back to the question; you mention you're having trouble "figuring out Year 5". Are you trying to determine a terminal-year cash flow that will cause the project to have some target yield (IRR)?

Andrearw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    What exactly are you trying to determine? The IRR of the cash flow layout that you've presented is indeed 6.5% after a bit o' rounding. (By the way, Excel's IRR function sometimes needs a little nudge with a "guess" parameter in the arguments, but it isn't always required. Excel returned 6.4777...% for me with just =irr([array]) all on its own; the guess argument is optional. XL's help function indicates that it uses 0.10 as a default starting point if you choose not to include a guess.)

Anyway, back to the question; you mention you're having trouble "figuring out Year 5". Are you trying to determine a terminal-year cash flow that will cause the project to have some target yield (IRR)?
    I was trying to determine the amount for year 5 and I think now I need to add the salvage value for year 5, which is $40,000 added to the $58,351, which gives me $98,351 with a IRR of 18% compared to my ARR that I figured out earlier of 13.18%, so I'm hoping the year 5 dollar amount of $98,351 is correct. I need that correct amount of course to compare against the ARR to see if the project is accepatable or unacceptable
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Oct 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
    Roger. Sounds like you're on the right track with it. If you're given a salvage value, that amount would indeed be added to any other cash flows for the terminal year, for purposes of the IRR calc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Average rate of return, net present value, internal rate of return, & payback period [ 3 Answers ]

CAM Company is evaluating a project requiring a capital expenditure of $619,200. The project has an estimated life of four years and no salvage value. The estimated net income and net cash flow from the project are as follows: Year Net Income ...

Internal rate of return, net present value, return on invextment [ 1 Answers ]

what do we mean by internal rate of return, net present value and average annual return on investments? What do they imply? And, how are they computed?

Internal rate of return [ 1 Answers ]

Brandon buys a golf course on January 1, 2008 for $10 million. He borrows $6 million from a bank at 8% interest fixed with a 20 year amortization on the debt. The other $4 million is his money and he Puts this as cash or "investment" in the deal. After all expenses and paying the...

View more questions Search