Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    udax4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 03:34 PM
    Tax liability in India under US-India DTAA
    I am an engineering consultant in the US. I have been contracted by an Indian company to develop certain engineering systems. Indian companies are supposed to withhold tax on remittances for technical services. However, article 15 of US-India DTAA suggests that "independent personal services" such as mine can only be taxed in their country of residence (US in my case).

Does the Indian company still absolutely have to withhold tax? And if so, how do I claim credit for that in the US?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 07:23 AM
    Offhand, I would say NO, but this is really an Indian tax question, and this forum deals exclusively with U.S. tax issues.

You may want to post the question at the link below:

http://mytaxes.in/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B R2I tax liability in India working for US employer [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I was on H1b in the US since 2003 on H1B visa and filing my taxes in the US. As of second week of Oct 2010, I moved back to India and hence would be in India for less than 182 days for india tax year. Also meet the conditions for RONR (if relevant) for future years. I continued to work...

Tax Liability In India if stayed for less than 183 days outside India [ 3 Answers ]

Tax liability of Indian Citizen if stayed for less than 183 days in US, was getting salary in US paid taxes there. Will he file taxes in India also, for US salary? Was on L1 Visa

Tax liability of student gone to USA, Atlanta from India on J1 visa. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! My issue is :- I am in USA (Atlanta) from 29th July 2009 on J1 visa for my post doctarate study. I am receiving approx.32500$ p.a. I was not asked to pay any tax earlier as initially it was for 1 year only. Now my tenure has been extended for another year & they are asking me to pay tax +...

Is Annuity income of US Citizen taxable in India under USA-India DTAA ? [ 1 Answers ]

1. I am PIO and a USA Citizen( age 72) and live in India with tax status changed from Resident but not ordinarily Resident to Resident and ordinarily Resident( Exceeding the 183 days etc etc). 2. I have to file Indian Income Tax return by July 31, 2010. 3. I receive Social Secuirty Income from...

Dtaa india usa [ 1 Answers ]

I am an OCI . Can I buy a life Insurance Policy in India? If yes, can I claim some deduction in my US return for this Life Ins Policy? What are the tax implications?

View more questions Search