Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mommi Posts: 42, Reputation: 9

Oct 13, 2011, 07:05 AM
    Go sit in their office until they help you. Had to do that with Jag here to get some paper work done. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good luck!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    No, because he is military he has a home state. And according to what the OP has stated the home state is CT. That is the state that the OP would file in based on the home state rule.
    "(7) "Home State" means the State in which a child lived with a parent or a person acting as a parent for at least six consecutive months immediately before the commencement of a child-custody proceeding. In the case of a child less than six months of age, the term means the State in which the child lived from birth with any of the persons mentioned. A period of temporary absence of any of the mentioned persons is part of the period."

The place where the child lives is what matters, not the child's father.

I don't see any exception to this for servicemen.

New York is clearly the child's "Home State".
    christinades Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2011, 07:55 AM
    Just sat at jag, they can't help me because its not an "emergency". The "emergency" would be if he's trying to come on base. Which I have no clue what his next move is if he can find my husbands 1st sgts number. I guess ill have to keep calling. I just need to know what my next step as to trying to keep him away from my family will be. I'm going now to change my sons last name since I gave him that name at birth thinking he was going to sign the birth certificate. Do I need his consent?
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by christinades View Post
    Just sat at jag, they can't help me because its not an "emergency". ...
    I'd have to agree. His calling the 1st Sergeant, without more, doesn't seem like an emergency.

...I'm going now to change my sons last name ... Do I need his consent?
    Yes, You probably have to tell the court that you think he's the father, and then will need his consent.
    Mommi Posts: 42, Reputation: 9

Oct 13, 2011, 08:22 AM
    I was always told if the child is over 1 year old then yes, you need the bio daddys consent.
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommi View Post
    I was always told if the child is over 1 year old then yes, you need the bio daddys consent.
    I don't think you can do it (for a child) without his consent (or dispensing with consent) no matter what the age.

Oct 13, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Then my hands are tied, basically?
    Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Then my hands are tied, basically?
    No, not at all.

You can sue him for child support and, at the same time, for an order giving you sole custody rights. He might, in response, ask for visitation.

You can try to get the child's name changed, although this wouldn't necessarily be a complete solution.

Or your husband can file a petition to adopt the child. If this is granted, the name change, including a change to the birth certificate, would be incidental. It would let the biological father off the hook, as far as child support is concerned, and at the same time remove any possibility that he could ask for visitation or other rights regarding the child.

You really need to hire an attorney, in either case.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    "(7) "Home State" means the State in which a child lived with a parent or a person acting as a parent for at least six consecutive months immediately before the commencement of a child-custody proceeding. In the case of a child less than six months of age, the term means the State in which the child lived from birth with any of the persons mentioned. A period of temporary absence of any of the mentioned persons is part of the period."

The place where the child lives is what matters, not the child's father.

I don't see any exception to this for servicemen.

New York is clearly the child's "Home State".
    As I understand it, since a person in the military can be assigned to a variety of locations, when they join, they are assigned a Home State. This is used for taxation and jurisdictional issues. So CT would, therefore, have jurisdiction.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 13, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Scott is exactly right.

Because military members may have "legal residence" in one state, but be stationed in a different state, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act, allows military members to pay taxes, register vehicles, vote, etc., in their "state of legal residence," rather than the state they are stationed in. This can sometimes result in a tax advantage because several states exempt military pay from state taxes.

Ref:

Military Legal Residence and Home of Record

Oct 17, 2011, 08:37 AM
    Child custody, child support and restraining order
    I'm petitioning for Child support, Sole and physical custody and also a restraining order against my sons biological father who is not on the birth certificate and lives in a different state. The hearing will be here where I live and I was wondering if my son's father could be at the hearing while a restraining order is in place. I know for sure that he will show up, but I need to know if he's allowed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 09:06 AM
    He COULD appear in a telephone/video conference. At the time the restraining order is issued this would be addressed in NY. I don't know where you are.

If the restraining order keeps him from defending or representing himself the Court MIGHT (again, in NY) make Court appearances a specific exclusion.

EDIT: I now see that you are in NY. If the restraining order is a ploy to keep him from attending the Court appearance(s) and the Court realizes it you will not look good in the eyes of the Judge. This is something people attempt all the time - I'm not saying it's your intention but I do see it. So does the Court.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...-603235-2.html

Oct 17, 2011, 09:08 AM
    I am stationed at Fort Drum, NY, he resides in CT.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 12:34 PM
    What is the restraining order for as this seems to be something new ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
    My impression was that the restraining order may very well be a ploy to bar the father from Court OR make things more difficult for him. Subject came up very late in the game, following other advice. That's why I requested that the threads be combined.

I wasn't being unnecessarily harsh. Seemed to be going in that direction - "what if ..."

Oct 17, 2011, 01:48 PM
    I talked to an attorney and he said I can get a restraining order against him to not contact my husbands 1st sgt and to keep him away from my property. Its not to make it harder for him because he can call in for the hearing I just don't trust that he won't ca again. My husband doesn't need to lose rank over this.
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:51 PM
    I talked to an attorney and he said i can get a restraining order against him to not contact my husbands 1st sgt and to keep him away from my property. Its not to make it harder for him because he can call in for the hearing i just dont trust that he wont ca again. My husband doesnt need to lose rank over this.
    The lawyer lied. You can't get a restraining order because he called your husbands sargent. Your husband would be the one to get one if there is grounds for it. Is this same lawyer the one that told you to file for custody there too with the restraining order ?

Oct 17, 2011, 05:56 PM
    What did the lawyer lie about? I'm getting a restraining order in place for my husband and I so he can't contact my lawyer and he can't come near us when we go back to visit our family in CT through the holidays. He's definitely a threat to me and my husbands marriage and he's threatened my husband many times with his life. The lawyer at JAG told me to file for sole and physical custody, child support and a restraining order.

Oct 17, 2011, 06:02 PM
    I meant so he can't contact my husbands SGT*** (not lawyer)
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 06:12 PM
    What did the lawyer lie about? I'm getting a restraining order in place for my husband and I so he can't contact my lawyer and he can't come near us when we go back to visit our family in CT through the holidays. He's definitely a threat to me and my husbands marriage and he's threatened my husband many times with his life. The lawyer at JAG told me to file for sole and physical custody, child support and a restraining order.
    You can file for yourself and you can file for your child. But your husband is a separate entity and you can not file on his behalf. He is the only one that can do that. Also for your custody issues you should be filing in your home state which you have said is Ct. If you file outside of there it can be rejected. Also anything filed in NY with the home state being Ct will only be temporary until a court in Ct can hear it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Father Is Not Biological Father - How Do I Change The Birth Certificate? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question, I have a 9 year old. I'm married and my husband's name in on the Birth Certificate of my 9 year old. I would like to tell my daughter who her real father is. I called her bio father and he does not want to do the DNA to see if it is his daughter. What are my options? Can he...

Putting biological father on birth certificate, and changing name back to biological [ 8 Answers ]

My mom and my stepfather are deceased and I'm an adult and want my biological father and my name changed back to his name since it was done without his consent, he is still alive and agrees. Can the courts do this?

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I want my non biological father taken off my birth certificate, how can I do this? Does he need to know? How much does this cost? I don't no who my really dad is, but the man on my birth certificate is a bully and I'm scared if he finds out he may turn nastey on my mum. Please help.

Biological father not on birth certificate [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 12 year old son, his biological father has never been in the picture, the man I am with now has been with my son since he was 1. We got his name legally changed on his birth certificate to my current husband last name and also added him on the birth certificate. Does his biological father...

Non biological father on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting ready to have a baby and the biological father is not exactly taking part. He has dropped out of high school, he is unemployed, and couldn't provide the proper care for a baby. I am getting legally married before baby is born and my baby will then have my husbands last name. Can my...

View more questions Search