Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josec99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 11:37 AM
    Changing light switches and now electric plugs don't work
    I am trying to change the light switches in my apartment. I found out after taking out the old switch, that there is no ground but there were 3 separate black wires coming from the box. I changed the old to the new switch, but since there were 3 black cables coming out, I only back mounted 2 of the black wires to the switch. The other one I capped off. Now, the 2 elextrical outlets on that same circuit from the fuse box do not work. The light switch does work though and turns on and off the fixture that it is supposed to control.

Should I side mount the extra 3rd black cable? Can you side mount and back mount at the same time? Don't understand why there are 3 cables and how that would affect the electrical outlets.

Thanks in advance.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Since the outlet worked before, and now does not, the capped off wire must be feeding the outlets. Need to connect it back to the hot wire feeding the switch.

Backwireing a device is not as good as a splice or a screw terminal, but cannot put two wires under a screw, and the backwire method is popular cause of loose connections. Both be done at the same time, but you risk having problems later.

Better to splice with wirenuts.

Keep in mind, you should not be doing electrical work in a building you don't own, and other tenants/occupants can be affected by any problem you may cause.
    cdnphotog Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2007, 06:35 PM
    It could be a 3-Way switch. It there another switch that controls the same light as the switch you replaced? Do you still have the switch you replaced? Were there 3 terminal on it? If so it's a 3-way!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 amp 25 volt light switches [ 5 Answers ]

I Am Upgrading A House That Was Built In 1963 And The Light Switches Have Never Been Changed,the House Was A Ge Home And All The Light Switches Are Low Voltage.does Anyone Know Where I Can Find Replacement Swithches?they Are 3 Amp 25 Volt Switches.

Problem with Hallway Light Switches [ 3 Answers ]

I want to replace my hall lights, from up and down toggles switches to the flat plate toggle. I have a switch at each end of the hallway. I purchased a Leviton switch that has 2 connectors and a green ground. The switches in my existing boxes have black, white, red and a ground. What do I need to...

Light switches [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a strange one. I am visiting my father, and he recently replaced an outlet in one bedroom and now the light switch no longer works. He didn't touch the switch at all. Here is the really odd part... now the same problem is in the adjoining bedroom. However, they are on different...

Ceiling Fan single switch/Light two 3-way switches [ 1 Answers ]

How do I wire... Ceiling Fan with Light switched separately. Light to be controlled by two 3-way switches and fan controlled by a separate single switch. :confused:

Wiring for multiple light switches [ 3 Answers ]

I have three light switches that control one light fixture. In the past, they all turned the light of and on independently. But recently it depends on where you turn if off. In some cases, it won't turn on at another switch. Someone told me it was the wiring or the switches. Nobody has changed...

View more questions Search