Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krege25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
    Suing a Landlord? Breaking a Lease?
    After many months of unpleasant experiences with the given landlord/apartment complex, I decided it was time to try and break my lease. Things had gone very wrong from the beginning. When I initially moved into the apartment (mid-August), they gave me the WRONG apartment and told me that if I lived there for 2 months (8 weeks) they would then upgrade me to a better apartment for the same price.

(Let me clarify: I did sign the lease for the apartment they wanted me to move into, so I was legally bound to it. This is what happened: When I went to look at the apartment they would not show me the one that was intended to be mine, and instead showed me a "model apartment". I was led to believe that I was moving into a second floor apartment and on move-in day was given the keys to the first floor. I very specifically told them I would not live on the 1st floor for personal reasons. I understand that this was partially my fault for not being more thorough and checking the address.)

Trying not to be difficult I agreed to their terms, and moved into the 1st floor apartment with the intention of later moving to the upgraded unit. Not long after I was offered a job in a city 2 hours away. I called and asked if I could break the lease instead of moving to the new apartment. When they remembered NOTHING about the transfer, they agreed to the lease termination once they could find a new tenant. I moved completley out of the apartment on September 7 and handed in the keys so that they could show the apartment to perspective renters. I then proceeded to pay half of the month of October, as they had a new tenant lined up for October 15. They also told me that I would be receiving a notice of lease termination in the mail, which I never did. I was told on October 11 that they would need the rest of the money for October because "the apartment had not been sold yet". The rent is $800/mo. Plus the utilities.

The argument they have is that I am legally bound to the apartment for the remainder of my 1 year lease. When I ask for any documentation of our correspondances as far as breaking the lease I receive nothing. What (if anything) can I do?

***ANY ADVICE IS MUCH APPRECIATED!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2011, 12:21 PM
    Actually you are legally bound for the rest of the year or until they find another tenant. They can't double dip. And they do have to actually look for a tenant.

As you learned... if its not in writing... it doesn't exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Never signed lease, landlord suing for back rent, but I paid it! [ 3 Answers ]

I rented a trailer for 2 years, told the landlord I was moving out. The electricity was in his name, not mine. Rent was paid up until the 1st of August. I got an eviction notice at the end of July, called the landlord and he said it was a mistake! I then moved out two weeks later. Now he has...

Landlord is breaking my lease [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord is selling the house because he can't afford it anymore. What are my rights as a tenant? If he gets forclosed does the bank have to honor my lease? I don't fell I have any rights at all.

Landlord Breaking Lease ? [ 2 Answers ]

I need some advice/guidance. We currently rent an apartment and started an 18 month lease in March, ending in August 2009. The landlord came to us the end of November claiming a complaint had been filed with the city by an "anonymous" neighbor and we have to vacate the property by December 31....

Landlord breaking lease [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I was wanting to know if a landlord can kick a renter out so there realtives can move in? I have read that they can't do that in states that have renters law. Ohio dose not.

Landlord breaking of Lease [ 3 Answers ]

We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can...

View more questions Search