Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisaflake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Replacing bathroom sink shut off valve
    The shut off valve for the bathroom sink is really old and can not be turned off. The bathroom remodel will take awhile so I can't go that long without water in the whole house. What is needed to replace the existing shut off valve so that we can remove the old sink and continue work on the bathroom? Is there a way to seal the pipe?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 5, 2007, 12:22 PM
    There are three types of angle stops. Compression, threaded and soldered.
    If you can tell me what you have I can tell you how to remove it and cap off the stub-out. A picture would help. Regards, Tom
    speedpiper Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 11:48 AM

How do I change a SOLDERED connection to install a compression shut off valve or do I have to solder on a shut off valve?
    Thanks
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2008, 07:36 PM

If the pipe is long enough you can cut it and use a compression angle valve, other wise you have to use a tourch to un do the solder,see the images below, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shut off valve not working! [ 34 Answers ]

Hi: I am trying to fix a leaky compression faucet. I have turned off the shut off valve for the cold water under the sink so the when the handle for the cold water of the compression faucet is turned, there is no water as expected. However, even if I turn off the shut off valve for the hot...

Replacing J pipe under bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get some instructions on how to do this properly? It had started to leak at the connection under the sink, and when I went to inspect it it just came apart! I have the parts to replace it. I don't want to call a plumber just for this. It seems like it should be simple but of course is not...

Pipe snapped replacing bathroom sink [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water pipe snapped behind the shut off valve on the threads inside the wall. I do not know how to weld properly and the main water supply for the whole house is shut off. What do I do? Is it possible to bypass just one bathroom sink and allow water through out the rest of the house?

Bathroom Sink Valve Leak [ 2 Answers ]

The shut off valves under my bathroom sink have started leaking and I am not sure what to do. The sink has had a tendency to clog lately, and I am not sure if this is related or not. Are there any suggestions on how to repair the dripping valves? Please advise.

Mishap in replacing supply valve under sink [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing the supply valves under my new bathroom sink as the old ones had old fashioned metal connectors that wouldn't work. The old supply valves had a soldered on metal pipe right behind the knob, and I now realize (too late) that that was what I needed to unscrew (probably by cutting off...

View more questions Search