Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fyani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Maths word problems about pencils
    Mary has a box of pencils (unsharpened). Mary finds that the length of one pencil is about 7-3/10 inches. There are 40 pencils in the box. If they were placed end to end in a straight line, what would be the length in feet?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Oct 10, 2011, 06:34 PM
    Fyani, there are two parts to this question. First, you need to find the total length of the "pencil train" in inches. Then you need to convert that to feet.

You have the length of one pencil in inches. Can you find the length (in inches) of all 40 put together?

We can work on converting that to feet afterwards.
    hidden123 Posts: 153, Reputation: 51

Oct 12, 2011, 07:13 AM
    22.33 feet.

7 - 3 / 10 = 6.7

6.7x40 = 268

268 / 12 = 22.3
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Oct 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Thank you, hidden, but when dealing with homework problems we try to HELP the asker reach the answer on their own, not just do it for them.

Also, I'm guessing that even though the question says "7-3/10", that actually means "7 and 3/10", not "7 minus 3/10". In other words, the length of a pencil is probably 7.3 inches. Hard to know for sure though.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 12, 2011, 11:31 AM
    I agree, best to offer good help rather than a wrong answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maths problems chapter 4 solved proportions? [ 4 Answers ]

1440 men had sufficient food for 32 days. How many men may leave so that the same food be sufficient for 40 days when the ration is increased by 11/2 times?(hint:The 1st element is 1 and the 2nd is 3/2 in the ratio for ration.)

Help with maths word problems? [ 10 Answers ]

Simultaneous Equations - Algebraic Methods 1. Five less than twice Michelle's present age is equal to Sandra's present age. Two years ago, twice Sandra's age was the same as ten years more than triple Michelle's age. Find the present ages of the two girls. The answers are:(I just can't figure...

Solving molarity maths problems? [ 1 Answers ]

If a stock solution of phosphate has concentration of 0.5M, how many ml of the solution will contain 1mmoles?

Maths trigonometry and solving problems exercises [ 4 Answers ]

Right... I've got a question to find formula for perimeter of regular polygon which has all of its vertices on a circle. If the polygon is n-sides. I worked out that it will be P=nx where . I'm not sur if I'm right but then there is a question what I'm struggle with: Find the number this...

Problems with Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hey people... I got to give mathematics exam in May end I have not started with it as yet... whenever I take or try to do it sudden I lose all of my confidence and it happens during the exam also I do it but I always doubt myself. I got to deal with Statistics & probability, Linear Differential...

View more questions Search