Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pyriad45 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
    After three years with no job, what can I do?
    I am 48 years old. I lost my job in 2008. Ever since, I have put in over a thousand job applications online and in person. I have had numerous job interviews with no success.

Unemployment and retirement benefits are gone. Just like so many people, I am strapped for money and bills are piling up. Also, I started back in college, but who knows if I will have a job when I get my degree.

I been going through a depression and I don't like it. I am use to going to work now almost four years and still no job. Any advice in what to do to keep my sanity.
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2011, 01:26 PM
    It doesn't help the bills getting paid hearing "you aren't alone", I know. But, you aren't.

There are a couple of things I can suggest that will not only help your mental and emotional state, but could also aid in your job search.

Volunteer.
    Get out every day, and in addition to your college work and looking for a job, put your mind and body to a regular task, like you were used to doing for decades at a place of employment. Listing volunteer work on your resume can also help you from a character perspective as well as filling gaps in your employment record.

Work For Yourself.
    Now is the perfect time to think about what you have always wanted to do with your life. Most people in your situation go through a process similar to grieving. Denial, anger, etc. At this point, you've got nothing to lose, so ask yourself "what have I always wanted to do". Or, if you are lucky, and your occupation has been what you've always wanted to do, then, great! Do it. But do it for yourself. There are many ways to start a business that do not include needing lots and lots of start up capital. As an example, a landscaping business is still a business, and you are its owner and employee, so no employment gap, and you are making some money.

I wish you well on your journey, I thank you for trusting our site with trying to help you, and I hope you return to share your experiences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 11 years old and I need a job that will make me at least $100 a week [ 5 Answers ]

I am 11 years old and I need a job that will make me at least $100 a week

No job 4 two years [ 4 Answers ]

I haven't had a job in over 2 years - not that I haven't been trying. Today I got a response from hr in a company I sent a resume. It said that they see I haven't worked in over 2 years and asked me what I've been doing during that time. Can they ask that. How do I answer it. Seems that saying...

Looking for job in port talbot at 13 years old! [ 4 Answers ]

My new year resolution is to find a job... but I'm not 13 in till march... and I don't know were to look for a job in port talbot... eneyone know where to find one?? :confused:

Looking 4 job 4 years [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently working at a law firm, I have three years experience and believe that I am good at what I do and I love what I am doing. THe problem is the money I am getting month end. I spoke to my boss about it but she is not really interested in giving me raise. I have been looking for the job...

View more questions Search