Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abest23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 02:00 PM
    3 inch toilet flange sits directly on top of the 3 inch drian pipe
    DO they make smaller flanges? I pulled my toilet to put tile down and now can not get a flange on it. I am very frustrated and about ready to call a plumber.
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 10, 2011, 03:31 PM
    First off I think you are using the wrong type flange. The one in the pic appears to be a PVC made to be welded to PVC pipe. I'd go with an Oatey flange made for cast iron. 165 Cast Iron Flange :: Oatey.com You need to scrap that old drain clean

Oct 10, 2011, 03:40 PM
    ballengerb1- I probably do have the wrong flange. Im a rookie big time. Would I be able to find one of these at Lowe's? And the drain is 3 inches wide. Will I need a 3 inch flange or a smaller one so it will fit correctly? Thank you so much
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 06:28 PM
    It looks like a tricky install. Was the toilet flushing with that much buildup? How was the old flange attached. Most repair flanges, like the one Ballenger noted are designed to fit over the pipe. If you put something inside the 3" pipe, it will restrict the hole even more. This almost looks like a floor drain instead of a toilet setup.

Oct 10, 2011, 07:54 PM
    Yeah it was flushing just fine. It might be a floor drain. There is a rubber seal in between the drain pipes as well. You can see in one of the pictures my puddy knife is in between the pipes where the rubber seal is. So if this is a floor drain am I in trouble? WIll it be an expensive fix?
    Attached Images

puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Oct 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
    I doubt if this was/is a floor drain. If it was you would see a trap with a water seal. Even if the trap dryed up, you could stick your hand in, down the opening and feel the trap. I would go with ballengerb's post. Make sure you secure the flange to the floor.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2011, 12:07 AM
    Try 3" Fit-In Closet Flange. Home Depot has very good selection of flanges, lot better than Lowe's. Once you have the flange than you install it onto the pipe and you have to drill holes into concrete to insert anchors and screws to attach flange to the floor. Back to you. Milo
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2011, 12:08 PM
    Now that you show the rubber seal, it makes more sense. If you take the old rubber seal off, you can get a replacement flange to slip over the floor pipe. When you pulled the old flange, it left the rubber seal. Get the one than Ballenger noted and it will slip over the stub left when you take the old seal off. How was the old flange affixed to the floor? Thanks for the good photos to help figure it out.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
    I don't think that will work here, Brian (Ma0641)... ;)

In this case, once he removes the neoprene donut he will be left with the HUB of a cast iron fitting... won't he? I think? I know, hard to say for sure. Maybe the outer ring comes off and then that flange Bob posted would be great IF the elbow is a NOHUB elbow... hmmmm??

I'd like to see another picture of this with the rubber sleeve removed. Then I would like the yard stick laid over the INSIDE of the fitting by placing the 1" mark at the extreme left and then taking the picture so we can read the yard stick across the fitting.

Frankly, I'm unsure about the rubber sleeve... can't see a separation on the inside of the pipe... may not be a rubber donut at all... hmmm..?

I would also ask Abest to pour a 1/2 gallon of water into the drain... be absolutely sure this isn't a floor drain (I doubt it, too, but want to eliminate 100%), OK?

Back to you all...

Mark
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
    Hey Mark, now that I blew up the picture, it actually looks more like an Oring or else, the sleeve of the flange possibly separated. There is no way anything can fit over the pipe. If you look to the right of the putty knife, you can see 2 screw holes, similar to a floor drain cover. VERRRY Interesting.
    Show us the old flange please, thanks, Brian
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2011, 06:03 PM
    If you look at the picture with the blue yardstick, it almost looks like someone maybe epoxied a flange to the floor and set the toilet on it. The rubber seal in the picture is depressed below the floor and does not look like a toilet stubout or a hub. Also note that there is rust deposit on the hub and it doesnnt look like anything was connected to it.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 12, 2011, 04:51 AM
    Yeah... real odd one here, for sure.

I'm thinking Abest may be best to crack the old cast iron ring off and then install an extra deep cast iron flange (leaded in) over the cast iron elbow, but that would probably be best left to an experienced plumber. *shrugs*.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a woodstove with an 8 inch pipe use 6 inch chimney pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Vigilant woodstove with an 8 inch pipe. I would like to use 6 inch chimney pipe, i.e.. Reduce the pipe diameter from the stove up to the roof. Is there any problem with this: draft, safety, etc?

Can 8 inch center holes be changed to 4 inch on solid surface counter? [ 1 Answers ]

We are renovating our bath and were told that the solid surface double bowl Pegasus counter we purchased would fit our faucets which are 4 inch center. When we started to install the counter it was for 8 inch center faucets. We cannot return our faucets which were very exppensive because of lead...

Can you replace a 4 inch cast iron soil stack with 3 inch pvc? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a home built (I'm guessing) in the early 1900's. I noticed a leak in my basement coming from the old 4 inch cast iron soil stack running from my second floor bathroom to the basement. There is water dripping down the pipe to the basement. Three plumbers have come out to...

Baement toilet, 3 inch cast iron pipe, unlevel floor [ 2 Answers ]

Want to install a toilet in my basement. I have a cleanout in the area I want to put it but the floor isn't very level. The clean out is 3" cast iron.

1/2 inch pipe floor flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a floor flange for 1/2 inch pipe with a 5-6 inch diameter flange at the floor.

View more questions Search